Hello Guest

Binding front window - SOLVED, ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!

• 4 Replies

Offline rivetc78

Binding front window - SOLVED, ONCE AND FOR ALL!!!
« on: April 23, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »
Ok, while I'm on a roll, I'm going to try to solve all my quirks!  Here's one that's been bugging me since day one.  My driver's window on my '02 Vitara rolls about a quarter of the way up, then tips forward and jams.  I have to hold the window back with one hand and hit the power switch with the other to roll it all the way up.  It's kinda hard to do when I'm driving because it forces me to hold the wheel with my knee.

This is what I've done so far:  Searching the internet, there is a service bulletin for this problem (Suzuki recognizes the weatherstripping as being too tight) and it involves trimming some of the weatherstripping.  I've tried this but it did absolutely nothing.  (Then again, the pictures are not very clear and I'm not 100% sure I trimmed it right.)  I've ruined a few weatherstripping pieces so far and they're not cheap!  I've also brought the truck in to 3 different dealers and they've all done the same:  apply a silicone lubricant to the weatherstripping.  This works for about a week and a half then boom!  Back to window binding.

Has anyone successfully licked this problem?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 05:26:42 PM by rivetc78 »

Re: Binding front window
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
You can buy the silicone from walmart in a spray can.  Its in the same section as the carburator sprays.  Make sure you get silicone and not spray grease.  My 92 window was having problems and the wire eventually jumped track on the crank mechanism.  I respooled it and lubed it with some fresh oil and then siliconed everything and now the glass practically falls down its so smooth.  Can't help you on the weatherstriping. You might try taking a wide blade screw driver or chisel and twisting it between the tracks to slightly widen them. 

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:34:48 PM »
Armorall the heck out of the track/weatherstripping channel. Stuff a rag in the channel to wipe out all the excess armorall. do this over and over(spray then wipe) until the rag comes out clean(or at least noticably cleaner than when you started).

Silicone based lubes will only work for so long before dirt builds up and becomes stickier than what you started with.

The next step would be removing the door panel and peeling back the plastic until you can see the center track just below the window. Lower the window until you can see the screws that attach it to the track, loosen them a little then push the window all the way to the rear as far as the rear weatherstripping will let you, then re-tighten the screws.

Both of these combined should solve your problem if the armor all alone doesn't do the trick.
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:12:42 AM »
Nah.  I have the same problem.  You just need to tighten the two screws that hold the glass (at the bottom) to the regulator.  I've got to do it around once a year.

Take off the door panel, roll the window about 1/2 way, loosen the two screws a smidge, tip the glass all the way back, and tighten the screws.   You'll be good again for months.

I just did this last weekend.

Okay, now that I've typed all that, I see Digger already said it.  So.... what he said.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline rivetc78

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
EUREKA, PROBLEM SOLVED!!!  Thanks everyone!  I took the advice on tightening the 2 screws and decided to tackle that.  I wasn't sure what the inside of the door looked like so I looked online to find an exploded diagram.  I then realized that all this time I had mistaken the weatherstripping for the glass run channel.  I was trimming the wrong piece!  Armed with this information I re-tackled the Suzuki service bulletin and alas, problem solved!  Window runs up and down smoothly now.  I also tightened those 2 screws while I had the door apart - they were a little loose.

If anyone has the same problem with their '99 - '02 Vitara/Tracker, email me |removethispart|@ rivetc78|removethispart|@hotmail.com and I will be glad to give a detailed step by step repair procedure.