Hello Guest

Timeing belt replacement: Tips, Tricks & Traps?

• 20 Replies

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: Timeing belt replacement: Tips, Tricks & Traps?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 02:53:51 PM »
IMPORTANT!
Did I mention the Big Bolt Shortcut that you should avoid like the plague????   ;D
I did this on Saturday  :-[
What should I do to prevent the keyway from getting damaged? or is it too late...  :'(

torque the bolt to the proper specs. I would also check it occasionally for proper torque afterwards.
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
IMPORTANT!
Did I mention the Big Bolt Shortcut that you should avoid like the plague????   ;D
I did this on Saturday  :-[
What should I do to prevent the keyway from getting damaged? or is it too late...  :'(

I torqued mine to spec and used bearing retainer. I was paranoid. iSo far, I have taken it on a 7 hour trip at around 75 (up to 85) and drive it daily at 75 m.p.h. and it's held. Its been around 3 or 5 months now. It's a Samurai and has 145k on it. If it has to come off again, It's going to be a bitch with the retainer but it ain't coming off by accident. 8)

I changed the belt, cam seal, crank seal, idle tensioner pulley, and the water pump. I possibly should have changed the oil pump but I don't know if that's something you normally do. I had to stop somewhere or it would have got too expensive. :o

-Adam ;D
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »
I just did mine yesterday on my sidekicks 1.6L 8V.  Really it was pretty simple.  Pull the accessory belts, pull the four bolts on the fan, pull the four bolts on the shroud, pull the 5 bolts on the crank pulley, pull the cover.  Before going any further put a socket on the crank and rotate it so that the cranks key way is inline with the molded in arrow/pointer in the case and the top sprocket has a notch and indent that line up at the top with its mark (which is like one oclock, just a little off from verticle). This way when you remove the belt everything is timed properly.  Remove the spring on the tensioner and loosen the tensioner and remove belt. 

I was cheap and didn't replace the water pump or tensioner cause neither one appeared bad and it didn't take long to do this so it wouldn't be a pain if I had a failure later. 

Slide the new belt on making sure your timings marks stay dead on.  Put your spring back on the tensioner and add a little finger pressure to the tensioner to tighten the belt and then tighten down the tensioner bolt.  Rotate the crank over with your socket again through a couple of revolutions checking the tightness on the belt and making sure there is no slop points.  Then button everything up.  Really I think if a guy had a organized garage I could have done everything in under 3 hours for the first time and I could probably do in in 1.5 hours or less now.  Definately use ramps (and of course block the tires) and remember to take it out of gear when you hand crank the engine over (surprised me when the vehicle started moving from my rachet :^)   If you have a 8V engine give it a go as its a non interference engine anyway.  :^) 

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
by the way, I have the haynes manual but honestly didn't use it.  There was a great repair guide with pics on Autozones website.  I'll post the link below but if for some reason it doesn't work just go to the site and add your vehicle to the profile and search for timing belt and it will show up in their guides.

This one shows the cover removal:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/f3/ad/0900823d801df3ad/repairInfoPages.htm

This one shows the timing belt replacement:

http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1d/f3/f8/0900823d801df3f8/repairInfoPages.htm
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 10:30:30 PM by spyder0069 »

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 10:37:43 PM »
Thank you!
Those links rock.   Thanks for all the tips, is there any thing else I should be aware of?

Offline Cuthulu

• I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »
Quick thanks to spyder0069, ack and mrfuelish(on the water pump thread) got the timeing belt and water pump done this weekend  and it seems to have turned out allright.  First time I had dne either so I was a bit nervious.