Hello Guest

1992 4DR w\Calmini springs and bind in the whoop section of the desert

• 10 Replies

Offline RJkick

I was at Cougar Buttes last weekend and the desert terrain, whoops, were a definite bone jarrer for the riders in the back seat.  I was looking at my options for the rear since the Calmini spring binds which causes the bottoming sensationand thought originally a better dampening shock so it may not bind the spring, then I thought a longer and bigger diameter shock might work, and lastly is the coil over with the shock going through the rear cargo area.

Anyone done anything like this on a Daily Driver?

Any thoughts?
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
You need to extend your bumpstops. Bind is a way of life with these springs and it kills them. Calmini "should" have included extensions in their so called "full performance system"  ::)

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Don't they have bump stops with springs in them so when you hit them while jumping it doesn't jar you quite as bad?  Thought I saw something about that somewhere....
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
If you want to spend some $$$ then look at air bumps but it is pretty quick and easy to extend your existing bumpstops.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
The bump stops are cone shaped so they deform progressively, You could look at bumpstops from other vehicles that are different rubber compounds or shapes if you want to fine tune them
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline RJkick

CJ - Did you extend yours?  If so do you have a picture or some steps

Thank you for the help
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline RJkick

I'm running the shocks that came with the Calmini kit

Does anyone have a better shock

Rancho 9000 are adjustable

Offline RJkick

Spoke with Calmini support today and they said a gas shock in the rear would help with the coil bind

On a brighter note he said they were coming out with a longer travel front strut but no release date as of yet

Offline RJkick

Any suggestions on rear shocks?

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
I was at Cougar Buttes last weekend and the desert terrain, whoops, were a definite bone jarrer for the riders in the back seat. 
The Important quote..
Riders in the back.
And how much more stuff were you hauling around?
That is quit the load for doing whoops..
What you need for the added weight is stiffer (heaver duty) rear springs.
I'm sure somebody might know what ones from OME may work..
Shocks only work in controlling the movement of the suspension, not how much weight you can carry.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline RJkick

Re: 1992 4DR w\Calmini springs and bind in the whoop section of the desert
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:48:06 PM »
The springs bind when I'm going 10 to 15 mph over a small dip between streets.  I agree that shocks won't help the bottoming and am looking for some better spring rates.   

If anyone jumps theirs and doesn't bottom that would be a good start for springs