Hello Guest

What could I use for a drive shaft spacer?

• 9 Replies

ultra-rebel

What could I use for a drive shaft spacer?
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:30:37 PM »
Well the build for a trail buggy continues. Welded the rear diff, gotter back in, cut a pair of rear springs from an XJ, installed the CV shocks.

I would like to use a spacer of some sort between the rear diff and the driveshaft.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Does there have to be some sort of spacing there for the shaft to give?  There really didnt seem to be any there before.
Thanks
Rebel

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: What could I use for a drive shaft spacer?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
Call Hawks Suzuki.
They have everything you'll ever need..

Can't beleive I was first to post this one ;)
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

luvmysammy

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »
didn't want to be the one to sound like a smart a$$.....  lol... but glad some one said something

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:50:44 AM »
Well, your probably the only person who would have bothered with the banner as well.  :)

But I agree, call Hawk.  You can get a 3/4" or 1 1/2" spacer to throw on your rig.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

ultra-rebel

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »
Thanks guys for the suggestion, but why does everyone's solution end up in a website. There are a couple of problems with always calling a dealer in off road parts.  They cost money and they take time.  I am going to have this machine out of my shop today and I was looking for an easy DIY solution.
If I wanted a built by Hawk or Calmamin rig I would have paid the grand and waited 3 or 4 weeks and did it. I guess the thing for us DIYers is to just do it

If anyone can tell me though do I need to leave some sort of flex in the driveline?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »
The driveshaft spacer needs to be reasonably accurately machined, its the face of the spacer that takes the power and not the bolts. If you have access to a machine shop then you could make your own, if not then its easiest and cheapest to buy one.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline lowrezolution

• "Get bent!"
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »
I'm all for DIY to a point, I built or modified most of my stuff myself too BUT I agree with Rhinoman, a drive shaft spacer isn't on the list of items you want to cobble together.
Unless you want an unbalanced driveshaft wobbling around under your butt either flying off or causing damage to more expensive drivetrain items.

Why don't you try the guys at http://www.zukination.com/home.htm
They're local and you shouldn't have to wait to get it like ordering from the US.

2001 Tracker LWB
Boondox coil spacers and BDS springs 3.25" rear lift/3" front lift,3" body lift. 265/75/16 Durango Mud Terrains. (32")

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 09:25:51 AM »
Call Hawks Suzuki.
They have everything you'll ever need..

Can't beleive I was first to post this one ;)

You beat me to it  :-[

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
Drive line spacers can be made in a machine shop, but is it worth spending the time vs the 30 dollars your going to pay for one? 

If so, then grab a block of aluminum and a lathe and go to work.  Basically you are copying the two sides of the flange and drilling holes through the entire thing to match your bolt up pattern.  I wouldn't go larger then 1" though, if you need more then that you should probably look at extending your drive line instead.

I like Hawk Suzuki because I have never had a bad experience with them in over 4 years of ordering parts.  And that includes calling them up with 30 minutes left to get the parts to UPS and saying "I need this part tomorrow!"  and it shows up.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:45:03 PM »
I hope that he has a slip yoke or a two piece drive line in there some where.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.