Hello Guest

Question on Manual Hubs

• 4 Replies

spyder0069

Question on Manual Hubs
« on: January 29, 2008, 01:00:58 PM »
Ok.  I have read enough to convince me to swap my Auto hubs for manuals.  I ordered a set of warn permiums from RRO.  My question is when the hubs are unlocked can you safely put the transfer case in 4wd LOW and use it as a 2wd LOW?  I assume everything will still be turning including the cv's but the wheels won't be providing power.  Any good reason not to do this?  Just thinking if I want to run around in 2wd on a trail but may want the lower gearing for climbing but not need full 4wd.  Also does anyone know if the warn hubs will include the mounting bolts (read they are different than the auto's)?  Thanks!

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
Re: Question on Manual Hubs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »
Yes, it'll be just fine.
My auto hubs were acting up after 195,000 miles, so I just threw a pair of Warn manual hubs on my daily driver.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

kubik1981

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:21:36 PM »
i don't want to thread crap but what do i have to do to convert auto to manual hubs i have a set of new superwinch hubs

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
i don't want to thread crap but what do i have to do to convert auto to manual hubs i have a set of new superwinch hubs

Unbolt the autos, remove them, install and bolt on the manuals.....simple as that......well, depending on the style of hub, you may need to get the bolts and cone washers (if the aftermarket manual hubs use the same type of bolts and cone washers as the factory manual hubs....otherwise, the factory auto hub bolts should work on the aftermarket hubs).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 06:24:35 PM »
I put warn hubs on mine when I bought it.  Got a few flames for doing it, but that is another story.  Apparently some people have reported problems keeping the bolts tight.  They apparently can work loose.  I cleaned the mounting holes carefully with brake cleaner.  Then I used new lockwashers and bolts, with loctite.  I have had no problems. 
Some older 4WDs use a locking device which mounts like a washer but is shaped so it can't rotate.  It has a tab to bend over the bolt head.  My old Scout and a buddy's jeep used them.  I figure that if mine give me any trouble, I will use those.
Regarding unlocking the hubs and running in low range--I was told years ago there was a possibility of overstressing the drivetrain with the larger 4WDs if you romp on it.  I doubt that these little engines have enough torque to cause problems, but I don't do it.