Hello Guest

Samurai Not Starting....

• 2 Replies

Ajtroyer15

Samurai Not Starting....
« on: January 29, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »
Hi guys im new here.  I have a 1990 Samurai EFI.  Ive had this samurai for about a year now, and it was running great when i bought it.  one day i went to get in it and it wouldnt start. So i checked the coil, igniter, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires.  I ended up buying new plugs and wires becuase i wasnt getting any spark.  So i just decided to buy new wires and plugs.  still didnt  start. So i just bought a new cap and rotor cuase they were cheap.  Still didnt start.  used one of my buddies igniters and coils.  still didnt start.  One day i was moving it and tried pull starting it.  It started right up.  but when i would push the clutch in it would immediately shut off.  Thats when i also found out that my alternator pulley was stuck tight.  tried pull starting it one more time and it started right up.  But it still stalled when i pushed the clutch it.  The next day i try to start it and it starts right up.  I let it run for awhile and i drained all the gas out and put in new. turned it off and then it wouldnt start at all.  Just the other day i pulled started it and when i pushed the clutch in it shut right back off...The only other thing i can think of is the ECM. if you guys have any other ideas please let me know....thanks a lot...

spyder0069

Re: Samurai Not Starting....
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 04:18:58 PM »
I don't have a samurai (got a kick) but my first guess would be the clutch switch.  You know the switch that doesn't let the engine start unless the clutch is pushed in.  Should be mounted on your clutch pedal bracket under the dash.  That would explain the no start.  Not sure how that would affect it dying but according to the haynes manual the ignition switch runs down through it before going to the starter.  Shows a black/red wire running to the clutch switch and a black /yellow wire runnng from switch to starter. 

spyder0069

Re: Samurai Not Starting....
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »
from what I can decipher the clutch switch is just a one wire in and one wire out single pole switch.  You should be able to test it by disconnecting a wire and then testing with a multimeter set to ohms acrross it.  Clutch out should read infinate resistance (no connection) and clutch in should bring it to zero.  The output wire goes to the starter solenoid so if the switch seems ok that would be next on the things to investigate.  Maybe there is a short somewhere in there causing it to kill.  The more I think about it the more it sounds like a faulty starter solenoid or the wiring between the clutch switch and solenoid.  I'd test the switch anyway though. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 04:31:25 PM by spyder0069 »