Hello Guest

SAMURAI wheel spacers

• 12 Replies

sanjuansheriff

SAMURAI wheel spacers
« on: January 20, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Hey,

I am thinking of buying four wheel spacers for my semi stock 86 Samurai. The wheels are aluminum with slightly over sized tires it has also been raised a little via the use of simple shackles.

My question is: Should I go for the 1.25" or the 1.50" spacers.... I have been leaning towards the 1.25" as I don't want to draw attention to it or make it look out of wack.   

Any thoughts?
Dennis

kingzoo

Re: SAMURAI wheel spacers
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
  Why do you need the spacers?Wheel rub or some such?

sanjuansheriff

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »
Kingzoo,
I can remember way back in 1992 when I first raised my Samurai it felt a little squirrely on the road compared to it being stock. So I guess my reason would be to regain some of that stability. I have been rebuilding my front end (knuckle kit, wheel bearing replacing 3rd member, new rotors and brakes) this last week and thought this would be a good time to do it. I have heard nothing but very positive comments about the enhanced handling and stability while on the open roads. I am not talking about the wide low rider look.... just a subtle slightly wider stance.

Dennis

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »
Your not going to see much of a difference between the two.  Below is a club Sammy that put on the 1.5" Spaces with 31x10.5 Swampers.  It does give it a more aggressive looking stance in person, but it's not anything major.  No tire rub issues in either case.

Before:

After:
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

sanjuansheriff

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:45 PM »
Drone,
Thanks for the photo and the information. I think I will just go for the 1.5's as I will be looking at buying a larger set of tires next time around. I like the looks of the lead Samurai as I will be fabricating a roll cage similar to it's design.

Thanks again Drone for your input,

Dennis

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
That looks alot better to me, for every inch you go up your supposed to go an inch wider so it has to be more stable off road and on from the looks of it.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:55:31 PM »
Just for reference, both Suzuki's are running the Davesport cage.  The black Sammy has the rear addition on it with the stock center hoop where the red SJ has a Davesport supplied center hoop as the SJ-410 doesn't come with the center roll bar.  :)

Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

sanjuansheriff

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 06:19:48 PM »
Drone,
Thanks for the info. When I get this thing up and running my 7 year old son and I would like to take it off the Island for some off road mountain exploring.... hopefully you wouldn't mind letting us tag along on one of your club outings sometime.

Dennis

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 10:21:46 AM »
Feel free to give me a page when you come over.  I'm not sure which vehicles we will have running at the moment, but we can put something together.  If nothing else we can go hit Walker Valley.  It's a nice fun run with Sammy's unless it is wet out.  Then it can get interesting.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

MaD.72

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »
 :-[Does the spacers for the sammi fit on sidekick.....just want to be sure

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »
:-[Does the spacers for the sammi fit on sidekick.....just want to be sure
yea, all the same pattern (same with CJ spacers too).

BTW, if you're going to run spacers, make sure you tighten and locktite the spacers in GOOD!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 02:04:05 PM »
yea, all the same pattern (same with CJ spacers too).

BTW, if you're going to run spacers, make sure you tighten and locktite the spacers in GOOD!

You can also use old Ford spacers.  5x5.5  But if you order them on E-Bay make sure they give you the right lug nuts to put the spacers on.

Didn't someone loose a wheel or because their spacer wasn't tight?

Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

sanjuansheriff

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
 I was able to order my spacers with the 12x1.25 lug nuts instead of 1/2" 20 normally supplied. I have aluminum wheels so I also needed to order a new set of 1/2"20 mag lug nuts...... The 12x1.25's are so you can install the spacers to the Suzuki hub and the 1/2"20 are so you can attach your rims/wheels to the new spacers lugs.

Hope this helps,
Dennis

PS... Drone thanks for the offer... sounds like fun.