Hello Guest

Swapping 93 Tracker 5 Speed for 89 Tracker Auto Trans Questions

• 3 Replies

Offline kozaz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Swapping 93 Tracker 5 Speed for 89 Tracker Auto Trans Questions
« on: January 24, 2008, 07:51:13 AM »
I currently have a 93 Tracker with a 5 speed manual trans, and came accoss a 89 Tracker auto trans/transfercase.

I would like to remove my manual/transfercase and install the auto/transfercase.

I assume I would also need the Auto's Rear Driveshaft.

Without going into gearing issues (axles), is there anything else that I would have to change or swap out to complete this trans/transfercase swap?

Such as wiring, speed sensors, and linkage issues?

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline SnoFalls

Re: Swapping 93 Tracker 5 Speed for 89 Tracker Auto Trans Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 01:35:59 PM »
I recently did the swap of a '91 auto into a '93 5sp ... my '93 was a 16V.

you shouldn't need the driveshaft. The tcase will end up in the same place.
speedo will hooks into to tcase so no issue there either

Stuff you will need tho ...
* flywheel from the donor
* shifter and cable from the donor
* radiator from the donor (for the tranny cooler lines).
* if you want the key to only turn while in park, you'll need the cable an lock mechanism that goes to the sterring column (I didn't bother)
* vaccum port from the donor (screws into the rear of the intake). On my 16v I had to drill+tap a place for this port to plug in.
* the 2 cable cam that attaches to the throttle from the donor (plus the kickdown cable).

For wiring, I went simple and simply got the reverse wires spliced into the plug from the old 5sp, and extended the 2 wires for the P-N position up to the place for the clutch starter disable plug.

You will also have to enlarge the trans tunnel hole slightly to accomodate the auto shifter (and drill some holes to get it to bolt up. I trimmed some bits from my auto shifter and made it work with the 5speed boot (will get a pic in a few).

keep the 5.12 diffs you already have in your '93 (perfect match if you go to ~31" tires).

post back if this isn't clear or you want some pics ...
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:50:09 PM »
One more thing regarding the TCC

Since I was putting mine behind a 16v, I didn't have access to a ECU that would run both the 16v AND the 3spd auto for TCC. I plan at some point to make a "overdrive" switch that will engage the TCC on-demand.

If you have access to the donor (and your '93 is an 8v), you should also swap the ECU (and TCC relay) from the donor too (that way you could wire in the proper TCC functionality).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline kozaz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »
Oh sh*T,  thanks for the eye opener SnowFalls!  Looks like I might want to see if he will sell the whole thing cheaply, then I can part out what I don't need.

Thanks again for putting together all the info!

Ryan