Hello Guest

How much red before dead?

• 11 Replies

Cuthulu

How much red before dead?
« on: December 06, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
So I was driving home from work (50 mile commute each way) and I realized I forgot gas.  I made it okay and was spot on in the red.  Anyone here taken it to empty and if so do you remeber where the needle was.  I am driving a 1994 Tracker.

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
Re: How much red before dead?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 10:16:18 PM »
Well, you know what they say, right? You only find out one way...
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline S.Sidekick

• Suzi Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 10:57:46 PM »
ya the old couple that had my truck as there tow rig, said they took it to red and burnt the fuel pump.  something to do with it being in the gas tank and it over heated the replacement cost was 475.95, and my kickers a 94 4 door.

Mudjockey#1

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:01 AM »
All gauges vary, a bunch!  if someone did a fuel pump job and the sending unit it can be greatly different!  I had one done on my work truck and now the gauge is off by a quarter of a tank from  where it was!!! :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 07:25:22 AM by Mudjockey#1 »

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:02:24 AM »
I could get another two miles on the freeway in my '96 by swerving in the lane, sloshing the few remaining drops in the tank.  Did it several times.  What can I say..

But it is a strange thrill to roll down the street, turn into the station and pull up to the pumps -- all without the motor running.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline 93trackaddict

• projects under reconstruction
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:49:01 AM »
my 93 ran out just under the red once, had to push it 1/2 mile to my work where I only found a pint of gas left in a gas can, just enough to get me to the station 3 blocks away. The nice thing is they are lite enough to push, the bad part is pushing them. Usually in mine when I run out it stalls but can be started back up 3 or 4 times before it completely runs out. One way to get the bottom of your tank cleaned out!

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:26:44 AM »
haha, last night mine was on the red, could clearly see between the white and red, during accelaration it would not go past 3000rpm's but would run under it ok, anyway, i was only a 1/2mile from a gas station and sputtered my way in......... i could have sworn i've let it run lower on the gauge before but that was what happened last night. 
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

kingzoo

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 11:54:56 AM »
   If mine gets within the width of the hand to empty i will be walking.Trust me,I have made the walk twice,and is sucks.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »
I haven't run out in mine yet, but it has gone down to the BOTTOM of the red zone mark, and when I did fill it back up, it still had a gallon in it. Don't trust the guage!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:27:07 PM »
Don't trust the guage!

Every gauge is different, Even if you take your tank apart and put it back together the gauge reading will change. If you really want to know pack up a gas can and run it till its out. Make a note of where the gauge is and don't run it that low again.
Student of Now Master of Then

Cuthulu

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 09:53:49 PM »
Sounds like I may have gotten lucky...several times.  Sounds like I am done pushing my luck, somtimes I drive along the coastline on HWY 1.  There are plenty of places where the term screwed would not begin to cover the situation.  I think my "just one more stop" days are finished.

Thanks for all the imput guys.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 04:08:02 AM »
I usually have a 5 gal jerry can with me on long trips, or trips into the back country. I'm reluctant to run it to empty though for a couple of reasons. 1, it starves the fuel pump which could damage it, and 2, with the age of most of our Trackicks, there's probably quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of our tanks which I don't want to draw into the fuel system. Better to keep some in it , imo.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER