Hello Guest

SPOA on 83 SJ410 questions

• 2 Replies

83sj410

SPOA on 83 SJ410 questions
« on: December 07, 2007, 09:07:45 AM »
I am thinking of doing a at home SPOA conversion.I am wondering what I will need to do with the steering. Will the stock brakelines work with modifications. Also will the lower shock mounts work if I swap them to the other side? Will the driveshafts be too short? I know I should just buy a proper kit but I am From Alberta Canada and don't want to go through all the hassle of shipping it up here.Plus I'm cheap.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: SPOA on 83 SJ410 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:00:58 AM »
The drive shafts should work, it really depends on your springs.  If anything you will probably only need a 1/2" drive shaft spacer.

The shock mounts will work fine if you just swap them to the opposite side.  I ran mine like that for a couple years with stock shocks.  In the front end I switched to the F-250 shocks and shock mount on top with the stock mounts on the bottom.  On the rear I still use the stock locations.

The stock brake lines will work, but you need to pop them off of the brake line mount.  I used a couple loose zip ties to keep it from moving to far.  It's a bit redneck but it worked fine.  Eventually I switched over to some extended brake lines I picked up from Hawk and ran it correctly.  There are a couple places that make really nice extended steel brake lines as well.

When you do the SOA, make sure you only cut one spring pad off at a time to swap it over.  You want to use the other one for reference to make sure your pinion angle stays the same.  It might be worth it to spend the money on some after market spring pads.  I like the Sky Manufacturing (http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/) ones as they wrap around the axle and give you some extra bracing.  A few people (myself included) have managed to tear the spring pads off when wheeling hard without a traction bar in the rear end.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

phloop

Re: SPOA on 83 SJ410 questions
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:07:30 PM »
Are the front spring plates different than the SAmmy plates? When I did my SPOA I had to swap the plates and also cut the shock mounts off the plates and reweld them as they were pointing in the wrong direction.

But then again that was over 12yrs ago and I may be able to do it a bit different now. LIke buy new lower front shock mounts or fab up some myself. :laugh: