Hello Guest

modulator valve on 3 speed auto

• 5 Replies

kingzoo

modulator valve on 3 speed auto
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:55:53 AM »
   Where the hell is it!i have done this many times on other cars,but I can't find this one.It is not right above the pan as my Chilton's says it is.
  Need help to fix this,as I am tired of having to warm it up in gear every day.
  it is a 91 4 door Sidekick by the way.1.6 8v 3 speed auto

Offline SnoFalls

Re: modulator valve on 3 speed auto
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:15:11 PM »
passenger side rear corner of the pan .. a hard line runs along the pass. side of the pan where it hocks to a vacuum hose leading to the intake manifold.

but, are you sure your fluid level isn't low?
mine can pause for a second when VERY cold before it enguages, but only for a second (and if I let it warmup for 5 minutes, it shifts right in).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

kingzoo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »
  Yeah,it's full,and I have just changed the fluid.it will hold first gear or slip if I don't warm it up in gear for a few minutes.
  I checked the location you mentioned and it is not there.I thought it should be there and my Chiltons said that as well,but it ain't there.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
It is where SnoFalls said it is.  It is gold colored (at least the ones I have seen have been).

Ahhh.  I thought I had a pic of it, but I can't find it.  You should know what it is, when you see it.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

kingzoo

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 03:52:49 PM »
   I just found what is left of it,and that aint too much.Somehow the modulator valve has gotten broken right behind the diaphram.This would also explain the tranny leak i developed about a week ago,but I can't understand how the tranny shifted at all.I was worse today,so I turned around and went home,and took my Suburban .
   Appearantly it must have just let go,cause I can't believe the tranny was shifting at all,even after warming it up,with the valve broken that bad.
  At least I can still get a wrench opn it,so at least it aint all bad.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 04:19:04 PM »
The modulator only really changes shift points during accel/decel. So, even without vacuum, the tranny could shift on just fluid pressure. (I *think*)

But being "snapped" sounds like "thars your problem!"
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it