Hello Guest

How do you know when you need new manual locking hubs?

• 4 Replies

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
How do you know when you need new manual locking hubs?
« on: December 04, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »
Last weekend one of my hubs decided to crap out on me a day before a 500 km jaunt back home in the snow. It just didn't engage properly anymore, so I took it off, took it apart, locked it off the vehicle, and installed it locked. Drove home, no problems. Tonight, I took it apart again and greased it up like mad, it seems to engage a little better now. I jacked up the front end and discovered on both sides, in order to engage the front hubs I need to spin the wheel backwards a little bit and then spin them forwards to engage. It seems kind of sketchy to me, I definitely don't want my 4WD not working next time I need it. The Sidekick has about 255,000 kilometers on it so it's seen some use. Is it time for some new hubs?
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: How do you know when you need new manual locking hubs?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 09:25:01 PM »
The stock hubs are strong and good, you did the right thing by cleaning it and re-lubing it. I have not actually seen a stock hub wear out. Most people who change out their hubs either are replacing auto's or falling for the hype that aftermarkets are better. I fell for it and have super-winch hubs on lil Suzy, I also had to get them to replace the one that I broke. Not an easy task I assure you. By the way, turning your tire backwards is the same as the axle turning forward.
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
Hmm, mine must be malfunctioning then...I guess I'll just have to go somewhere and try it out!
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

phloop

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
If and when you have the time, degrease and regrease the hub's. When you do this make sure you degreae them really good and allow them to dry before you regrease them.

After the hubs are clean and dry, use a good quality grease and new O-rings. The O-rings should only need replaced when dry or damaged. Should be the first time you relube the hubs. If you maintain the hub's you will not have a problem with them.

I have a sticky hub again on my early 88 Sammy and I regreased them a couple of years ago (less than 500 miles on them at the moment) and at that time I did not replace the O-rings. I guess I need to replace them now. ;)

They did work really good when I did regrease them, but as I keep them locked 90% of the time they may have taken a set for the "LOCKED >:D".

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »
What you did is a good idea for everyone to remember.

If you have a hub that won't engage, you can remove it, manually engage it, and reinstall it engaged to grab onto the axle.

I had to do this just a few weeks ago.  When i got home, i pulled it off to clean it up and re-lube it, and it was so rusty that i ditched it and used a spare i had instead.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com