Hello Guest

muffler recommendation

• 7 Replies

mydentedvit

muffler recommendation
« on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:19 AM »
got another question!  after a quick check under the zuk i noticed the huge factory muffler has been snagging probably everything i've drove over. Its good and scratched with some nice dings in it as well..  i think i'd like to replace it before it gets ripped off and causes more problems.   Any recommendations?  the cheaper the better, but hopefully not at the lose of any performance! also i dont care about noise..

Thanks
James

Offline blacktrack99

Re: muffler recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 05:33:48 PM »
After my second trip of hard wheeling in my tracker, i pretty much flattened the stock muffler. :laugh:  In its place now resides a very small glass pack.  Much smaller target for rocks.  Loud and obnoxious when you rev it, too.  To do over again, I'd just have them run straight pipe: even smaller target, very cheap to replace.  Oh, and even louder still. 

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 07:26:01 PM »
Like blacktrack99, I run a very small glass pack. It sounds good  ;D I also have a 16" x 3" tip out the back to amplify the sound!! The wife thinks it is retarded (her exact words) but it's cool. The muffler was $18, the total with tip and new pipe to the rear was only $70.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

mydentedvit

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:50:40 AM »
i think im gonna go with a cherry bomb just not the glass pack.. the turbo 2 muffler from autozone looks like it shouldnt hang on much .heres the link:
http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1431301/vehicleId,2645302/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,/partType,01917/shopping/partProductDetail.htm
it looks like it will do the job and keep some back pressure instead of straight piping it. 
thanks
james

Bger

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 07:20:48 AM »
my solution to this problem was:

1. drive straight into a steep ditch to the point that the back wheels are at the bottom of the ditch,

2. unable to go forward up the other side, back straight out forcefully!

3. about 8 inches of exhaust are now bent straight downwards!  while trying to bend this back into place, it came off completely, and now the exhaust is nicely hidden back from the bumper.

the only negative i've found here is that my back window usually gets a greasy film over it, i assume the exhaust is coating it because it's not flowing where it's meant to

wezeles

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:07 PM »
i thought i ripped mine off i was driving down some deep trails and layed it flat on the frame then all you heard was exhaust thought i tore it right off... got it pulled out sounded fine.. the collector has the sprign loaded bolts so even if you bottom it out or hit something on the exhaust it will have some give, enough to tuck up under the frame.. so unless you hit a rock in the shape of your muffler you should be fine

a good turbo style muffler would help though... magnaflow,flowmaster,dynomax even the cherry bomb turbo muffler all good mufflers for a decent price for the size you will need, and will give you a nice rumble to the exhuast.. none of them will hurt performance it would be pretty hard to find a muffler to do that, stock ones are always very restrictive and dedicated twards sound quality rather than performance

wezeles

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »
a really mean sounding muffler is the flowtech raptor... and they run from 18-25 bucks at any parts store that carrys them "murrys discount auto parts"

what is the stock muffler exhaust size on these things? i keep hearing different from what i could tell by looking at mine its a mixture of sizes.. and its all bolton which kinda makes it nice you can just unbolt the muffler then get the matching flange and bolt it onto any exhaust and right back into place... providing its the same in and out style.. center input far side output

mydentedvit

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:44:37 AM »
the flowtech raptorlooks like a better choice than what i was thinking before.. thanks.. as for how big the stock muffler is  im not sure... i'll take a picture of it before i cut it out...