Hello Guest

rear end

• 10 Replies

Offline josh

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
rear end
« on: October 21, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »
my 88 zuk needs a locker in the rear and in the front. the front i need to put a like a lock rite. the rear i want to weld solid. the only thing is i also do a lot of on road driving. i have talked to a few people about it and the results are 50 50on doing it. some say it wont turn. some say that it is so light that it wont hurt it to much. i no i will lose turn radius but i dont be breaking stuff when i hit the asphalt. what do you guys think

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: rear end
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 09:12:31 PM »
Solid in the rear is fine, but don't weld it, chances are it will break when you need it most and leave you stranded. Spend the money and buy a spool, they are not that expensive and worth every penny.
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:12:40 PM »
Many folks have run a welded or permaently locked rear with moderate success.  Even better with a lockrite in the rear.  You WILL have handling problems though - especially on slick roads at speed.

I personally would not run a welded/permanent locker in the rear.  I do too much regular driving to have to deal with the handling issues.

I do run a lockrite in the front.  It helps a lot on the trails and since I can disable it's locking action by unlocking the hubs, it drives normally on the street.

The ultimate setup would be an ARB air-acutated locker in the rear axle - if I had $750...

Your mileage may vary, my 2 cents, etc...
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »
I ran a minispool in mine. I just aired the tires up a few more pounds and I didnt notice it unless I made a really tight turn.Well......except for some tire chirp.

Bill

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:06:26 AM »
I ran a spool in the back of lil Suzy for years with 31 12.50 boggers and did not have any trouble outside of some tire wear but that is to be expected. It was actually an incorrectly installed Lock Right done by a shop. Somehow they turned it into a spool. I recently rebuilt the rear axle and installed a new Lock Right, the old one was trashed, looked like they drove the pins into the wrong holes with a hammer. There are some performance problems mostly during slow tight turns when it lets loose and catches causing the truck to jump And of course the loud clanking noises it makes during wider turns which makes bystanders think your truck is coming apart. but beyond that I like my Lock Right some of the time. If I had it to do again I would have put a spool in it. I still wouldn't weld it. I have lots of experience welding spider gears and about 50 percent of the time they break when you need them most. And when it breaks that's it, you're done, get out the tow strap or try to limp home on the front axle.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 09:12:36 AM by sidekicksrock »
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline josh

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 03:38:21 PM »
So what kind would you run then. I know that lock right lunch box type are fairly cheep i haven't heard a lot of complaints. do you guys think that would be a good buy.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »
If your doing street driving just pick up a pair of Lockrights without side gears.  You want to use the side gears in your Zuki unless they are thrashed.  It will still climb mountains but will handle a lot better on the road.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

BigRedZuki

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »
would putting a locker in the front of stock ifs and 31s be a bad idea? with the aluminum and all. would cvs hold up too.
how about a limited slip front and or the rear.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 07:52:46 PM »
Mileage on a front locker varies, but most people don't have a problem with them. 

SnoFall runs a locker up front and a spool in the rear and I don't think he has cracked his front diff yet.  I ran an aluminum front diff for almost two years with an Ez-Locker and 33" tires in my SJ and never broke anything.  I have seen some nice carnage shots though.

I concider a limited slip being for more of an adventure/95 percent on road vehicle.  If you plan on wheeling it pretty heavily I say put the locker in front and rear.  If you have the money, ARB.  You can't go back after having a selectable front end...
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 07:31:59 AM »
yea, I've never had a problem with my locker up front (also running 31's). I think the auto tranny helps some what.

CV's tho, yea, I can pop those at will. That is more related to CV angle than locker tho.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline ChileKick

• DIYer Man !
    • Nacion 4x4
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:07:19 AM »
I recently had a shop build me a mini spool using my sidegears and a really thik tube with the holes for the pins. turned out pretty nice. I installed the spool on the rear axle and I do a lot of on-road driving and just notice it really sharp turns , like in small parking spots or 90° turns. But I welded the front....not a really good idea. Nothing has broke , but trying to turn even in sand is really difficult.
I would recomend a mini spool in the rear end a limited slip up front.
Cheers
Custom 5" suspension lift,custom 2"body lift, custom transmision lift,custom intake porting and custom exhaust.
3" wider A-arms custom made front coils.Power inverter , dual batteries , 8000lb winch , VHF , AM , LSB , On board Notebook-GPS on 15" Screen :-)
 265/70 - 15 tires on 8 rims. Custom Man