Hello Guest

Good deal?

• 3 Replies

wezeles

Good deal?
« on: October 15, 2007, 08:55:19 AM »
Hey guys ive been looking for a nice 4door 2nd gen for the wife since i picked up my 2 door, i just found a 99 grand vitara 2.5 5 speed 4x4 at a local lot with 91,000 miles on it... its fully loaded as far as i could tell power everything moon roof the works even has the suzuki genuine bumper guard and chrome running boards " running boards look bad with the body clad but might work on the 2 door with some modification" hes asking 5,400 for it blue book for this are is 5,800 retail so not a bad price... but how good is the 2.5 motor? ive driven one before in a 4 door tracker with an auto in it... seemed to be pretty nice but does it have any issues? timing belts ect. like some of the other motors?
 i can find the same setup on ebay usually running about 4,500-5,000 but i would have to travel to get it not know the condition and it wouldnt come with a warranty
seems like a pretty good deal to me... let me know what you think deal or not

wezeles

Re: Good deal?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 12:38:56 PM »
nevermind i went to test drive it today started it up and it made a god awful clacking noise from the front of the motor... he said he would have his onsite mechanic fix it i told him to give me a call then

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 01:28:34 AM »
That sounds like the timing chain guides/tensioners.  It's a big strip-down job.

It arises either because a cheapo oil filter has been used, or maybe not the best grade of oil.  Always use 5W30 in the V6, and the manufacturer's oil filter.

There are no other weaknesses in the engine, as far as I know.  It is based on the Mazda KL engine, which is a fine design.  The timing chain is a Suzuki update.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

wezeles

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 01:47:50 PM »
he said he would have his mech replace it i told him to have fun and give me a call when its done