Hello Guest

Starter Issue?

• 7 Replies

burke

Starter Issue?
« on: September 17, 2007, 06:22:02 PM »
OK I got the tranny put back in and it used to start everytime.  Now the first time I turn the key I get a click and nothing.  But it will start over on the second try everytime (quickly and easily).  What would cause this?  I have the positive wire on the correct terminal and the signal wire plugged in and the ground on one of the mounting bolts.   ???

g-man

Re: Starter Issue?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
Make sure the connections on the battery and the starter are clean and tight.

Offline museboy07

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:13:55 PM »
If all the connections are tight and clean then most likely its a bad starter
1994 Tracker, 2in Ironman springs w/ 1in spacers on top, soon to have custom diff drop brackets, 31x10.5-15 All Tarrains, Pro Comp long travel shocks, KYB performance struts, strut mount flip w/2in extensions, 3in rear a-arm spacer, ...DD

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

burke

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:42:56 PM »
Mine doesn't do it when it is warm.  In fact it only does it the very first time you start it if it has been sitting for a while.

The second time you start it it fires up nice and hard with no problems.  Almost like something is charging up the first time and doesn't have enough juice yet to pull the solenoid in.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:58:55 PM »
Mine did the same thing when i replaced the battery cables with new ones, cheap ones with the steel ends instead of copper ones like napa gold cables, the steel ones corrode on the inside by where it bolts up to the starter and if you get lucky the copper wire on the inside edge will touch the starter bolt and it will start.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline brentd27

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:33:39 PM »
I had an odd starter problem a couple of months ago.  Got to where it was intermittent.  Would start up fine several times, then nothing.  For a while it seemed like fiddling with the signal would fix it, but it finally got to where that didn't even work.  Not even a click out of it.  So I pulled the starter and found something really interesting...

The wire that comes up through the center of the signal wire terminal was loose, sticking straight up and not touching the terminal.  ALL of the solder was gone, apparently melted off.  I bent the wire back into place, and made sure to flow on a decent amount of solder and put the starter back on.  Has been working great for 6 months now.

burke

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
I was working on the steering today and went to go pull the negative batter cable off and found that it was loose. :-[  Tightened it back up and will try it a couple of times to see if that holds. ;D