Hello Guest

Positraction.... ?

• 4 Replies

nprecon

Positraction.... ?
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
I was screwing around in the driveway a week ago and dumped the clutch on my Tracker.  I backed up and found that both wheels had left about 12 feet of rubber on the pavement!!!?   I didn't think 02 Trackers came with positraction and I was a bit surprised to find both wheels had pulled.  Can anyone explain to me why a single pull rear end would pull both wheels when I dumped the clutch?   I bought it used with 60K miles on it and I haven't altered the axles. 

norm

Offline bzzr2

Re: Positraction.... ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:09:49 PM »
that's it, everytime i get stuck i'm gonna dump da clutch good!   kidding, i have no idea.
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline blacktrack99

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »
wasn't the limited slip dif an option in '02?  That might do it.

nprecon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
I'll have to have the daughter unit check the glove box to see if the shipping label is still in the operator handbook.  That would be a useful option to offer. 

On a similar note...  I thought ABS was pretty much standard equipment on all vehicles since about 2000.  My 1996 Tracker even had ABS as an option.  Anyway, I sold my 02 Tracker to my daughter unit and then looked for and found another 2002 with 5 Speed on the market and bought it.  They are identical except for color AND the one I just bought does not have the ABS feature.  I'm good with it, I was just surprised it didn't have it.  I'd rather daughter unit had the ABS anyway for additional safety of her and grand daughter unit. 

norm

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 08:14:18 PM »
89+ Suzuki (and offbrand) IFS trucks have never had any form of traction adder here in North America.  They may have elsewhere but not here.

Depending on how much centrificial force was going through the diff both tires will spin until one catches traction and forward motion ceases.  I've seen plenty of hot rods and mud trucks with open diffs and powerful engines spin their way to glory using nothing but high rpm wheel spin.