Hello Guest

OME springs

• 12 Replies

wezeles

OME springs
« on: September 19, 2007, 01:25:58 PM »
ok guys i have jeffs 1.5 front 2.0 back spring spacers on the way and i was messing on Rocky road outfitters site today and saw that the OME medium 1.5 lift springs will only cost me 150 bucks shipped to me front and rear...
   i called them up asked them if the 2 inch strut spacer would be enough for the 1.5 spring spacer and 1.5 coil lift... they mummbled on and on about how its not the best because it isnt theres but finnaly told me it would work they just wernt sure how well

so how well will this work? anyone have a clue?

i figured it at about 3 to 3.5 total suspension lift when im done am i going to run into any problems with it? cv shafts or whatever... i know im gonna have to extend the rear shocks even more now but thats not an issue i will buy a bigger extender or just a set of 3-4 inch longer shocks from BDS
  its the front that worrys me. is there anything i might run into as a problem? do i have to extend the strut more or should 2 inches over stock be enough? will the camber correction bolt handle this?

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: OME springs
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 01:35:53 PM »
The camber bolt won't.  They're generally good for about 2" of correction.

With that much height you won't have much for downtravel unless the diff is lowered.  Not to mention you risk pulling the cv-shafts apart.
There's a reason most spring/spacer only kits don't go over 2-2.5" of total lift.

Just for reference you can just get longer shocks at the parts store meant for other applications and they'd be cheaper than the shock extenders and whatever it is Boodox is selling.  Mine were $25 each.

wezeles

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 02:20:50 PM »
the shock extenders i picked up at my local parts store for 5 bucks..lol all the ones i see on boodox or any other site are exactly the same with 200% or more increase in price... most auto parts stores offer shock extenders from 1-4 inches in there truck after market section...

as for cv shafts go would a longer set work? ive got a guy in town that makes custom drive shafts and cv shafts ive used it a few times for v8 drops into pontiac fiero's and a couple FWD cars with a different tans... i could eaisly add on up to 2 inches and have it balanced... problem with that would be the uptravel would be changed might have to go a little long on the bump stops so it doesnt jam the cv-shaft back in...  it wouldnt increase or decrease travel i wouldnt think it would move it lower for sure though...
  so if that would work my only issue would be the camber adjustment... i really dont want to add height and give up what stregth i have in the 4x4 setup so if new cv shafts wont do the trick, i might just wait and get the calmini setup

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 02:27:22 PM »
Longer cv-shafts won't fix it because the distance between the knuckle and the axle isn't changing much, just the severity of the angles the cv-joints are forced to operate at.

2" suspension lift + 2" body lift and you can fit just about the biggest tires you'd want under one of these.  You run out of axle strength and gearing options right about then.

wezeles

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 02:50:40 PM »
nevermind i found a site that has so many mods to the 99-04 style its crazy... guy in the UK never thought of it before i tryed buying the coil fit 1.5 spacers off of him before he told me that boondox sold the same thing here... he did exactly that 1.5 spring 1.5 coil spacer and it looks like all it needed was the longer shocks, he uses just his 1.5 strut spacer so my 2 inch should work fine... and then a drive shaft spacer as his started to pull slightly out...

http://www.k9rdj.co.uk/ProjectGV/

thats his site... check out suspension, he sells great products on ebay too bad its in the UK... so i will chat with him see what he thinks...

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
Correct but notice he dropped the front diff and relocated the rear panhard bar bracket.

http://www.k9rdj.co.uk/ProjectGV/suspensionlift.htm

Bottom of the page.

Yep, familiar with him.  I'm the one that clued him into the GV's having the strut bar brace thingy a few years ago.

wezeles

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
gotcha didnt notice that... eaither way... its still available... 3 drop brackets and 2 drive shaft spacers to make it right... does anyone sell them around here?

wezeles

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 03:40:18 PM »
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Bits4Vits_Suspension_Front-Axle-Drop-Brackets_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ13587946QQftidZ2QQtZkm

he sells everything to do it... i already talked to him and he is willing to ship to the states, but its costly... i cant seem to find anyone in the states that sells them though... i can get everything i need but the drop brackets here... too bad calmini doesnt sell them seperate... might have to shoot them an e-mail to see if they would

wezeles

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 03:51:32 PM »
i just hate body lifts besides fitting a bigger tire i find them tacky and pointless.. i would much rather lift the suspension and have real clearance then just add bigger tires and chop up the fenders for  what little bit more you can get out of it... i e-mail calmini to see if they would sell just the drop brackets...

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I guess I miss your point on the body lift.  You don't have to chop the body up to put a body lift on. ???
On an old solid axle rig body lifts are kind of pointless but on a newer IFS truck they're an effective way to fit larger tires without getting into the complications of lifting IFS.  That said my Tracker has a 3" body lift and I'd have chosen a 2" body lift if I'd been the one lifting it (bought it this way).
Most of your clearance comes from the tire height gains so a body lift helps in that way, also gets the rockers away from the ground.

Also don't knock fender cutting until you've tried it.  Check out icelandic's GV for proof of what can be done with fender trimming, a body lift, a short suspension lift, and big tires.

Talk to Blacknight on here.  He bought the VTTR stuff directly from the company in Taiwan.  If I recall the price, including shipping, wasn't bad and he never had anything but good to say about the company and people he dealt with over there.

Calmini's going to tell you no.  The shocks are about all they sell separate of the kits.  Guys have tried to get the diff drop brackets separately but they always say no.  Their way of sort of extorting people into buying their lifts.  They've sort of had the market cornered for a decade now but other options are poping up.

wezeles

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:43:48 PM »
alright thanks.. i guess if it isnt too much i might try buying from VTTR site is a little hard to navigate.. all japaneese to me..lol but ill give it a try... and i know body lifts arnt just hacking and cutting... i just hate to see a gap between a frame, always looks like a cheep job to me when i see it, and when its all done you always get more outta the suspension lift then body... as with his 3 inch suspension lift he acctually got what 5.5 inches of clearance when done..and it is physically pushing the componets down and outta the way where you gain nothing from a body lift but being able to clear larger tires... being this is a little thing i didnt plan on going bigger than 31 maybe 32 inch tires on it for the power and gearing thats pushing it in my opinion...
   but with that lift he goes 9-14.5 inches of clearance with the same setup i have now ,stock with 29's to 31's so minus an inch off what 5.5 inches still he gets 4.5 inches of clearance... to get that with just tires i would have to go from a 29 to 38 with tires if it was all body lift... lol granted that would look awful and probbaly barely move with stock gears and no motor mods but even the 2 inch suspension lift with 2 inch body to get the same clearance you would have to run about what 35's to get that clearance... i think im gonna stick with suspension for majority of my mods on it, it just doesnt have the real power to move big tires... it might cost more in the long run but it is the best way to do it

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »
Blacknight might still have their email addy.  I believe he called and emailed them and they spoke/wrote perfect english.
Chinese...don't say Japanese to them :-X...WWII is hardly over in some parts of the world...

With the 3" body lift on my Tracker you can't see between the frame rails and the rockers unless you crawl around on your hands and knees.  The wheel well gaps were more noticeable but some old rubber floor mats took care of those gaps.

Trust me, suspension lifts aren't always the easiest way.  Take a look at the IFS under a modern GM, Ford, or Dodge half ton and tell me you wouldn't put a body lift on long before a suspension lift.  We are just lucky in that we have coil springs and our suspension is somewhat "user friendly".
You missed my point and are using an extreme example on the clearance.  I guess I'll just leave it at that.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »
VTTR were pleasant to deal with, i sent a pic of my tracker, they said yes, we have these parts for you, sent back a spreadsheet with pics and prices!

margaret will reply to you, email here; vttr.tw|removethispart|@msa.hinet.net

i didn't end up buying anything though, i've been putting off really doing anymore to my tracker, with no locker out there for my 03 i'm not so happy.  i will however add longer shocks, eventually, to the rear and change out my spacer to sit an inch or so higher in back.....

i think VTTR or the guy you mention in the UK are your ONLY options for these parts.. 
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4