Hello Guest

Any Trans Guru's, I Have a Question.

• 9 Replies

Offline ghd23

• 1990 Tracker softop, Detroit Mi.
Any Trans Guru's, I Have a Question.
« on: May 03, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »
I have a 93 Tracker 8v with a 3 speed auto that's slipping, I also have a 95 Sidekick 16v with the same trans that works great. I need to know if this is just a simple R&R or is there something more to it? 

Thanks Ahead,
   George.
If I Can't Weld It          It Can't Be Welded

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
Re: Any Trans Guru's, I Have a Question.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:22:27 PM »
does it slip all the time or just when changing gears - forwards - backwards? first thing is check the fluid level with it running in park and warm.

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline ghd23

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:01:07 PM »
All thats fine, it's been slipping now for about 7 years, I've changed filters, flush, I think the only thing that has kept it goin so long is the trans additive that I use. It shifts great once it warms up. My son-in-law gave me his Sidekick, the motor is shot, likewise the body, but that trans shifts like right now. Mine only slips going from 2nd to drive.         
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:03:45 PM by ghd23 »

Offline junkman

• Old stuff is OK
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:00:18 AM »
George,

The newer tranny will have electronic shifting while your '93 will have a vacuum modulator and shifts that way. Also, the flex plate might have 5 bolts to hold it to the torgue converter instead of 3 bolts. The 5 bolt plate will not bolt directly to your crank shaft without machining. Either way, the tranny would have to be shifted manually (without changing the wiring harness and ECU) and that is a pain in the ass. I got an extra few thousand miles out of my auto by putting about a pint of brake fluid in the transmission. It shifted like new for awhile. When it went again, it tried the electronic transmission and while it bolted to the motor, everything else was different. If you are using Lucas transmission stuff, I found that it made the problem worse instead of better. The best thing to do is find an auto the same year (and doors) as your 93 and put that one in and save yourself some grief. Good luck.

Junkman
One man's junk is parts for another man's 'kick!

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 06:49:45 AM »
Hey Junkman, was your newer model trans. a 4 speed?  I've been told I could swap my 91 auto trans for my 95 as long as they are both 3 speeds, only the 4 speed are electronically controlled.   
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline ghd23

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 05:28:19 PM »
George,

The newer tranny will have electronic shifting while your '93 will have a vacuum modulator and shifts that way. Also, the flex plate might have 5 bolts to hold it to the torgue converter instead of 3 bolts. The 5 bolt plate will not bolt directly to your crank shaft without machining. Either way, the tranny would have to be shifted manually (without changing the wiring harness and ECU) and that is a pain in the ass. I got an extra few thousand miles out of my auto by putting about a pint of brake fluid in the transmission. It shifted like new for awhile. When it went again, it tried the electronic transmission and while it bolted to the motor, everything else was different. If you are using Lucas transmission stuff, I found that it made the problem worse instead of better. The best thing to do is find an auto the same year (and doors) as your 93 and put that one in and save yourself some grief. Good luck.

Junkman

What is the difference between a 2dr and a 4dr. trans, Its the first I've heard of this. Thanks, George.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 05:25:21 PM »
4-doors generally had the 4-speed auto with OD by 93-94.  They only had the 3-speed for a few years in the early 90's.  I think he's generally referencing that point.

kingzoo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 12:33:52 PM »
  MY BUDDY JUST BOUGHT A COMPLETE TRANSMISSION  AND TRANSFER CASE WITH 43,000 MILES FROM JDM FOR $389.00.THEY EVEN PROVIDE FREE SHIPPING TO BUSINESS ADRESSES.

Offline junkman

• Old stuff is OK
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 09:24:14 AM »
George,

The tranny was a 4-speed out of a 94 4-door Tracker. I have heard of 4 doors having a 4-speed with a 3 bolt torque converter and everything in between. When I put a different 3-speed auto in my kick everything went smooth until I went to put the transfer case shift lever back in and had to modify the floor opening and the lever to get it so it would fit properly. I am wondering if 2 of these vehicles ever had the exact same parts! I have also seen the ads for the company that imports engines and trannys from Japan and I would caution you to make sure you are getting a 3-speed auto from the same year as your rig.

Junkman
One man's junk is parts for another man's 'kick!

Offline ghd23

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »
I've been checking into the JDM thing, so far I've heard everything good.
George.