Hello Guest

mystery zero compression on #2 cylinder????

• 5 Replies

eschneider

mystery zero compression on #2 cylinder????
« on: May 19, 2007, 11:31:12 AM »
Okay kids, anyone seen this before?

1992 Tracker, 200K miles.  Running rough.  Dad drove the car probably 200 miles before I got there to do a tune up.

Compression test = 155, 0, 165, 165.  #2 cylinder nada, nil, zip.  Wet test on #2 brought it up 30# on 1st try, 10# 2nd try (30 seconds later), 0 3rd try (another 30 seconds later)

Pulled the head.  Cylinder walls had NO scratches (I was impressed for a 200K mile engine!!!!).  Rings hold a puddle of carb cleaner overnight (no leakage past rings).  with 0 compression, there should have been a dropped vlave or a hole in the piston.

Machine shop found nothing with the head.  Pressure test was OK (slight leakage on #3 and #4 valves, #2 was perfect they said.  No warpage.

i could not see anything wrong with the head gasket, but they don't always show when they leak.  But 0 compression caused by a head gasket????????  There should have been some compression loss certainly, but ZERO????

Ideas?  Input????  I'm gonna try bolting it together with a new head gasket and check compression this weekend, but I'm totally mystified.....

copperfever

Re: mystery zero compression on #2 cylinder????
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 12:47:20 PM »
Normally I would say you have a bent valve, but it sounds like the machine shop checked it out. Sounds like a real puzzler... I guess try the head gasket and cross your fingers!

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
That is a mystery all right. You seemed to have checked everything I would think of. Let us know what you find. Could the rockers be stuck holding a valve or two open?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:04:56 PM »
did you adjust the valves? Mine was doing the same thing and the exhaust valve had tightened up to the point it wasn't closing all the way!!!
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

kingzoo

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:39:08 AM »
  I have seen a situation that was very similar to yours,and even though it would hold fluid,it was still a ring.It is much easier to hold the carb cleaner than compression.

eschneider

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
update - it was the head gasket.
I'm really impressed with this little motor.  I've abused the hell out of it.  200k miles and the cylinder walls looked PERFECT.  not even a ridge.  parts for the whole jobs were less than an intake manifold gasket on a GM3.1L.  Took less time, too.