Hello Guest

CB wiring through tailgate + rain = soaked trunk

• 5 Replies

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
CB wiring through tailgate + rain = soaked trunk
« on: April 18, 2007, 10:00:59 PM »
On my 97 4 door I have my CB antenna magnetically mounted on the back center of the roof and I've got the cable going through the tailgate. It seems that since I've done this, whenever it rain, my cargo area is getting soaked with water. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and what they did to solve it, or else I'd like to know how you're running your CB cable otherwise.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: CB wiring through tailgate + rain = soaked trunk
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:12:22 PM »
I have a mount on the back door.
Found at truck shops and some Stereo stores.
Then run wires through doors with the other wires.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline istone100

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 02:58:44 AM »
I mounted mine to the front fender.  Mine is prolly a little bigger then most peoples as it is a 2m HAM radio 5/8 .... which is about 4 feet       

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:27:10 AM »
I've got my 102" mounted on my rear bumper/tire carrier. Mine goes right out the back door, under the door.

I did have some problems with water in the back for a while, but it wasn't caused by my CB antenna cable. It was caused by the door not sealing all the way.

I'd suggest maybe adjusting the two philips screws on the inside where the door latches, that hold the little metal catch. Move that catch in maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch and then tighten, then shut the door. See if it shuts tight. Mine had come fairly loose (the screws were easy to turn) and had shifted out some (away from the truck) so my door wasn't sealing tight.
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 08:28:29 AM »
I mounted mine to the front fender.  Mine is prolly a little bigger then most peoples as it is a 2m HAM radio 5/8 .... which is about 4 feet       

I have the same thing on the front too! I'm also a HAM. ;) But I "do" run my CB whip on the back, because most people around here have CB's.
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »

I ran that on my 2dr for awhile. Actually worked better than the back door mount.
Wires still there.
May put it back.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 06:49:05 PM by HotRod »
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD