Hello Guest

LockRites in snow and ice.

• 5 Replies

Patsy

LockRites in snow and ice.
« on: March 30, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »
I have been thinking about putting Lockright lockers in the front and rear of my Samurai.

I have read that they are not too good in snow and ice.

In my area the only pavement is the state highway and we get up to 30 feet of snow each winter.

The dirt roads are plowed but after a few days of melting in the afternoon  and freezing at night they are pretty much glare ice. 4WD without lockers is almost as useless as 2WD in these conditions.

What problems would an inexpensive locker like lockrites cause?

I never drive faster than 20MPH on these roads, winter or summer.

Also these roads are extemely dusty in summer. What steps do you take to keep dust out of sensitive areas?

ZukisandRotarys

Re: LockRites in snow and ice.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »
They are dangerous when roads are slippery because when the tires would normal chirp on the road, that chirping can cause you to loose too much traction and you would hydroplane. But in your case I think it would be OK considering how slow you would be driving, and because you actually do need them.

Offline W.O.T

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »
ive used my samurai with lock-rites front and rear without a problem in the snow.  i dont have any complaints about them.  i use them on the street/sand/dirt/mud.

Offline bus_driver

• the voices tell me different things
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 12:16:07 AM »
dude i met told me when he locked the front on his he just does not lock one hub on the front and it worked great

92 2dr soft top
2-1/4" cherry bomb exhaust
235/75/15
2 inch lift
custom mud

Offline trackenator

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:39:36 AM »
i dont get it. when ive had true posi b4 in my mustang on snow/ice all i did was go sideways.my buddy had same car open diff and drove around me like it was nothing. so why are people saying how good locked rears are in snow and ice? you will just go sideways not forward (at least in 2w drive anyway) can someone please explain?

Offline Utah_Tracker

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:55:31 AM »
On lock rites, (I run front & rear in the Tracker) are just entertaining in snow & Ice.  the only time that I've found that they may be dangerous in is in the intermitant stuff.  ie..  part dry part ice.
    As far as the rear wheel drive car w/ a posi or good limited slip. it was your tires that kept moving your back end down hill.  with a light foot and good tires a traction system is awsome.  (ex-cop, lotts of experiance with big powerful rear wheel drive cars)
    When it comes to driving with the auto lockers, such as Lock-rites, is that they lock and unlock.  this makes it hard to drive for your car as it is always changing.  it can be done and done well, but takes practice and an easy foot (like that's hard in zuk).
91 soft top Tracker, 3' Calmini Sup, locker around, Auto, & no Power Steering

GO BIG or GO HOME