Hello Guest

Crankshaft key damage timing pulley off.

• 5 Replies

FarFetchedZUK

Crankshaft key damage timing pulley off.
« on: April 08, 2007, 12:15:39 AM »
Hello guys!
I am very mechanicly inclined (master ASE), but I have no experience with Zuki Samurai.
My question is simple why has the key that retains crankshaft timing belt pylley got wedged between crank and pulley. I will update the crankshaft retaining (17 mm) bolt according to Zuki TSB (TSB No. TS 4-11 03150). However, can I just use new crank pulley and get away with it. Or should I R+R crankshaft. I have also been thinking to weld that key to the cranckshaft (spot weld).
I would like to see real experienced Samurai owners with similar situations.
I will, eventually, R+R the engine to 1.6 or even VW TD engine(Rocky-Road). For now I need to make it roll...
Thank you!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 12:18:11 AM by FarFetchedZUK »

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
Re: Crankshaft key damage timing pulley off.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:02:47 AM »
I was able to get away with just a new timing gear but, The damage on my crank was not quite that bad.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:10:30 AM »
I have gotten away with a new gear and JB weld with one that was worse than that. replace the lower seal before you JB weld it togather. I let it sit overnight before I finished assembly. That motor is still on the road after 2 years now.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 02:01:15 PM »
I had that happen on a 89 montero 4 door a few months after the timing belt was changed. They didn't put any thread lock on the end of the crankshaft  before tightening the pulley down. The solution was either to replace the crankshaft (Ha Ha!) at a cost of over $1000. or to  have the end of the crankshaft built back up with a welder, and have the key way fixed with a dremel at a cost of a few hundred.

The way I discovered it was my son heard a rattle I couldn't hear. I looked under the hood and w it turning but wobbling. After having it repaired, I noticed a huge amount of fluid dripping between the transfer case and the transmission. It was coming from the housing in between. Sort of a dead space that makes it hard to just replace a seal with out dropping everything and disassembling. I surmise that the way the front was wobbling around caused enough shaking at the back to cause the leak. Or else it was just a strange and horrible coincidence.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:47:49 AM »
Article explaining the Repair

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,15988.0.html

My Damage:

Here is the link to my 1.6L 16v Keyway repair (October 05 and still going strong)

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,26263.0.html
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks. 

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 06:38:07 AM »
All the maintenance guys (the ones that they think have all the mechanical know how) where I work like to use J.B. Weld (and vice grips) on everything. All our equipment falls apart.

I wouldn't use it myself. I think it has a problem when under vibration as well as heat. I would try to put it close to the way it was before and use some Locktite when securing the pulley over it in such a way that it can't vibrate loose enough to slip. My Montero would have been fine had the bolt holding the pulley  been Locktited on. Remember, it ran fine when the timing belt was first replaced. The key way only stripped out when the bolt holding the pulley backed out enough to cause some slop.

My 2 cents.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb