Hello Guest

sammi intake manifold

• 5 Replies

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
sammi intake manifold
« on: April 06, 2007, 08:24:55 AM »
Hey i have been batteling with a massive vac leak that is making my 88 run like royal crap.  When i say big vac leak, i mean i can 100% seal off the intake on the carb and it wont kill the engine.(i have blocked off all open vac lines to)
Im getting the idea that it might possibly be the intake manifold gasket.  When i looked down to check and see if i could see a gasket stickin up, to my suprise i found gobs of RTV gasket maker. From what i heard from brent at TT i should have a gasket on it.

Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, could you tell me some of the malfuntions that it was casuing so i can be sure if this is whats going on with mine.

any info would be coo

Thanks

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: sammi intake manifold
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:12:15 AM »
i can 100% seal off the intake on the carb and it wont kill the engine

Are you sure? If you 100% sealed off the intake then no air would flow through the carb and there would be no fuel either.
There should be an intake gasket. Have you tried pouring a bit of light oil or similar around the intake manifold to check that it is leaking?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Java110

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 02:59:07 PM »
get a can of carb clean with a straw, and lightly spray around the intake with the engine running... when you spray over something leaking, it will rev up. then you can pin point it.

it works best with the air cleaner on so the carb doesn't suck in the carb clean.

Offline Amilla

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 05:03:51 PM »
It dosnt have the right gasket on it, its all RTV on it now, and im pretty sure its where the leak is coming from. The other day i went around the manifold and sprayed break clean around the edge and it would rev up.

I orderd a new gasket for it, so im going to throw that on there and see if it fixes the problem.

Thanks for the information

Amilla

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 05:58:20 AM »
While its off check that the flange on the manifold isn't warped.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Amilla

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »
I had been thinking about doing that, my buddie has an engine shop and he told me he would gride it smooth for me.

Amilla