Hello Guest

!|removethispart|@#$%%^Clutch problem!!!

• 5 Replies

Offline jaybyrd92

• 1992 Suzuki Samurai JL
!|removethispart|@#$%%^Clutch problem!!!
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
Okay! My clutch pedal started feeling like it was binding on something  a few weeks ago. By "binding" I mean it was really hard to push in.

I dropped the tranny and the clutch was shot . So today I put in a new clutch, pressure plate, t/o bearing and pilot bearing. I also had the flywheel resurfaced like some guys on here suggested. The old clutch cable looked worn out so I  bought and installed a new clutch cable too.

After putting all this in,the pedal is still binding. I have adjusted the cable every which way I could but it is no use.

When I push the clutch pedal all the way in the firewall flexes. It is that hard!!

What could be the problem?
Never use money to measure wealth.

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
Re: !|removethispart|@#$%%^Clutch problem!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »
sounds like the throwout bearing is stuck.
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Evolvocane

• the shop
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »
You have to lube the shaft before you put the throw out bearing on.  Otherwise it can bind.
DIY so ya can pay me to do it right later.

Offline jaybyrd92

• 1992 Suzuki Samurai JL
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 06:52:19 AM »
I lubed the shaft with hi-temp white lithium grease. I can disconnect the cable and engage the clutch by hand, it is smooth as silk.

Could it be that the lever arm  where the cable connects to the tranny needs adjusting? Or could it be my clutch pedal?

Thanks
Never use money to measure wealth.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 10:47:07 AM »
I'd try disconnecting the cable at the pedal end and seeing if the pedal movement is OK. I seem to recall others having a problem with something breaking in that area.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 02:09:30 PM »
I lubed the shaft with hi-temp white lithium grease. I can disconnect the cable and engage the clutch by hand, it is smooth as silk.

Were you engaging the clutch arm or the clutch pedal and cable?
If it was the clutch pedal and cable, and the clutch arm is still binding.....is the fiber plate installed correctly?.....there is a "tranny side" and "flywheel side" to it.
If the clutch arm engages fine by hand.....I'd say the clutch cable may be adjusted incorrectly.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.