Hello Guest

struggles to start...

• 10 Replies

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
    • Andy Colver Photography
struggles to start...
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
I leave my wagon for weeks at a time whilst i'm away at University. Usually i'd get home from University, eager to go wheeling, pump up my slow punctures, he he, call a mate and get my tracker jump started, cos my old battery was dying, and didnt have the juice to get her going. After this first start, she'll work fine everyday...

Just got back 2day, new battery fitted at xmas, and after leaving it for 3 weeks, it only very just started after lots of turning over.... think i nearly flatened the new battery trying!

Why doesnt it like being started after a few weeks of sleeping?? It starts fine if its used every day...

Is there a simple solution?

Its not a problem all the while i use it daily

thanks
andy :)
UK Vitara - 2" spring/shock spacers, 3" calmini body lift, 32x11.5x15" BFG MTs, rear half calmini exhaust/no cat, full Alpine ICE

http://www.andycolver.co.uk

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: struggles to start...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 06:06:16 PM »
You might have a Draw on your Battery.
I had a Dodge truck like that.
Never did find the problem.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 07:16:11 PM »
Next time I would try turning the key on for a few seconds before trying to turn it over. Three weeks is enough time for all the fuel pressure to drop and by letting the key on a little bit before cranking, you're giving the fuel pump more time to get the pressure up... Maybe your fuel pump is going bad or the wiring to it is corroded...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 11:24:28 PM »
do you leave it parked outside while you are away? you could be getting condensation inside the dist cap or water build up in the gas tank. i have a bronco that has been sitting for a while and would be really hard to start after sitting for a few days. i filled it with gas and now it starts fine every time. as digger said it could also be your fuel pump getting weak. try getting somebody to start it every 2 days while you are away and see how it starts when you get back.

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:16:02 AM »
Is it carb or EFI? If its carb then it could just be stale petrol.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 06:29:48 AM »
cool, interesting suggestions...

rhinoman, yup its carb!
UK Vitara - 2" spring/shock spacers, 3" calmini body lift, 32x11.5x15" BFG MTs, rear half calmini exhaust/no cat, full Alpine ICE

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 09:42:01 AM »
disconnect the battery when your leaving for a good ammount of time, then when you get back you can get an idea of whats going on.  Sort of filter out what it could be, atleast you will find out if its a fuel or electirc problem

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 12:11:17 PM »
Next time it happens pull one of the spark plugs, see if its wet. If it is smell it, stale petrol has a distinctive smell
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline costa 05

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:08:09 PM »
Is it that it won't turn over or it won't start. If it won't turnover there is a draw on the battery. If it won't start, just spray some quick start in it it will fire right up. More than likely it is fuel running back to the tank and has to pump back up.
when in doubt gas it!!

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 05:03:37 AM »
yeah its not starting, it does turn over....

Deffinatley not the battery 'cos i replaced her under a month ago.

Suppose i've gotta wait till i leave her another few weeks to starts identifying the problem... lol

thakns for the help  ;D

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 04:05:42 PM »
I would say spray some carb cleaner into the carb following the directions on the can. Over time, un-stabilized fuel will evaporate, leaving behind a tough varnish-like coating throughout the carb which can cause clogging to the needles and sticking floats. Spray carb cleaner breaks this down to help restore carb function. Fresh fuel will help, too. I would even suggest filling it up with premium for a tank or two to help the engine burn out the stale stuff...

My suggestion earlier is mainly for fuel injected vehicles running an electric fuel pump, not for carbs with mechanical pumps...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)