Hello Guest

Crankshaft

• 5 Replies

Offline silver

Crankshaft
« on: August 09, 2005, 01:36:12 PM »
I've read alot of the past posts and see people making remarks to the cranks on sidekicks and trackers to be forged. I'm wondering what year they were? I'm in the middle of a rebuild on my 1.6 16 valve and I know mine is not. As a matter of fact it's a hollow crank. Any help what so ever is very much appreciated. Thanx
1995 tracker 1.6 16 valve n/a
Soon to be turbo

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Crankshaft
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 04:19:38 PM »
What year vehicle was/is the engine from?

I think there was a number of design changes in the '94 model year.  One being the new, tougher exhaust manifold and one-hole downpipe.  This, I believe, is about the same time the factory started installing better-balanced crankshafts.  I don't know anything about the forged issue.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 08:29:45 PM »
There are 4 and 8 counterweight cranks and they are interchangeable but they are both monoform castings. There has been some talk about a forged crank in some of the G15A or B engines but I haven't been able to confirm this and they have a stroke of 84.5mm

Offline zaggy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:07:16 PM »
Hi there

Dependiing on what you are doing to your engine it's probly not a concern. Unless you are planning on pulling massive rpm or really wild boost levels the stock crank you have is probly all you are ever going to need.
     If yours is planned to be a pretty stock motor all I would recommend based on my experience is....
- regrind as needed, making sure all the journals are radiused properly
- Champhering the oil holes in the crank to improve oil volume and flow
- Dynamic balancing Crank/Flywheel/Clutch/ Front pulley

All relatively inexpensive and help with overall reliability as well as strength and smooth running.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 04:38:55 AM »
I understood it was the 1.3 DOHC Swift engine that had the forged crank. I don't recall if the Samurai has the same crank, if it has then it is only the Japanese built engine that does (1328 not 1298 or the other way round)
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline silver

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 04:59:44 AM »
Thanks for the all the replies. Just wanted to be sure that I had not missed a cheap power part.
1995 tracker 1.6 16 valve n/a
Soon to be turbo