Hello Guest

NEW OWNER OF A 98 SIDEKICK SPORT needing suspention ride help..

• 10 Replies

Offline hoosierhunter

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Great website. I just bought my 98 sidekick sport 4x4 from my retired neighbors. It only has 45,000 miles on it. Im going to be using it to drive back and forth to work everyday but man the ride is jarring my teeth out.Im also going to use it on hunting trips to save gas . What kind of suspention upgrades could i get. I dont need to be sky high. maybe a little bigger tire with all terrains. Is the 2.5 suspention kits softer than stock??? Thanks
Brian
Indiana

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
Re: NEW OWNER OF A 98 SIDEKICK SPORT needing suspention ride help..
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 12:22:59 PM »
First thing I would check is tire pressure.  It might be too high.  My '98 Sport rides pretty good, but maybe that is a subjective thing.  I put one size larger tires on it and run about 32# of pressure, which is higher than recommended.  If you can't fix the ride, you could donate the kick to me  ;D.  I wouldn't mind having one with such low miles.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 01:04:47 PM »
. If you can't fix the ride, you could donate the kick to me ;D. I wouldn't mind having one with such low miles.
Dang, I was gonna say that ;) ;D

OME has some Soft suspinion lifts.
Old Man Emmu struts. Soft as a Babys butt.
Good ride.

Tire pressure wise. I run 25psi. Recommended pressure is 23psi
Good balance between comfort, milage, and tirewear.
My 2cents.
No, I don't want my change back ;D
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline hoosierhunter

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 04:47:56 PM »
I REALLY LIKE IT. WHATS A GOOD TIRE WHEEL SIZE COMBO FOR EVERYDAY GAS SAVING DRIVING. I THOUGHT ABOUT SOME STANDARD BLACK SPOKES AND I LIKE BFG AT KO'S FIGURE ID KEEP THE 16,S ON WITH THE STREET TIRES IN THE SUMMER MONTHS.
WHERES A GOOD PLACE TO GET THE EMU SUSPENTION KIT?

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 05:36:06 PM »
I'm sure one of the advertisers on the front page on the right (just click on them)
will be glad to help.
Here is your pic of your Kick.
very nice looking.

It is really hard to post pics from the board.
hard to Downsize them that much
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »
ARB Dealer locator http://www.arbusa.com/locator/

If you are going with ARB's Old Man Emu suspension and you don't plan to run a bar and winch then see if they have coil spring #950 for the front but if you are going to put some weight on it then go with #959 (or #962 for a touch more). For the rear with no great loads then the #954 should be right but if you intend to put a bit of weight in there then go with the #955. You can get a bit more lift if needed by adding coil spacers but you will need to get some camber bolts to get the alignment right.

As for rubber what size do you want? For something mild to go with the suspension lift and the standard rims then you might want to look at something like a 235/70R16 or a 225/75R16. They won't hurt your gearing much at all.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:11 PM »
"WOW"
Really good Info ;D
Two Thumbs up.

Offline hoosierhunter

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 05:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the good info guys the sport is also an Automatic. Is that rare?First thing this week im getting the windows tinted im about to bake in this thing.. lol
235,s will do great. I did see where someone said 15 " wheels wont fit over my calipers. Is this true?

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:07:25 PM »
As far as I know. Very FEW would fit with a little grinding of the Calipers but stick with the 16s.
Auto is good.
when you go bigger tires.
You can get the 5:12 out of a 5speed. plenty around.
225s or 235s will work good with the stock wheels.
I ran both of them on mine (15x7 wheels tho)
235s rubbed with the 15x7s (more off-set than stock)

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »
Suzuki went to larger brakes on this model and that is why you have 16" rims so that they will clear the calipers. If you put 235's on the stock rims they won't protrude past the guards. If you don't do the suspension lift you may or may not get very slight rubbing in the rear on compression but the front clears fine.

Offline RangerRick

• Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 07:42:59 PM »
I just finised my 96 sport kick with a homemade 5" lift for about $300.
I got coils from a Grand Vitara, 4door, V-6. Those coils raise the front3" [no axle problem]and the rear 2". I used a coils spacer to level it. For shocks I would use stock and screw on the top extended studs.Your done, I did add a 2" body lift. It rides nice, I also added a rear spool ,locker in front, 4;24 t-case along with my SPORT RUBICON decals on the hood. Hope to drum up some money with those jeeps that will think I am stock.
Be Prepared - Be Prayerful - Be Thankful - You are an American