Hello Guest

Check Engine Light and Timing Belt

• 4 Replies

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Check Engine Light and Timing Belt
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »
My 88.5 Samurai is running well but the check engine light is on most of the time(occasionaly it goes off as I move the gear shift). What is the most likely problem?

The odometer is showing 93,000 miles and I have no idea when or if the timing belt has been changed. How often should this be changed? Is it easy to do?

The parts should arrive tomorrow from Hawk Strictly Suzuki to rebuild the brakes. A local Just Brakes is doing the work. I am not very mechanically inclined, but I will be installing the new top arriving tomorrow also. ;)
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Check Engine Light and Timing Belt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:58:56 PM »
Welcome to our world of wheeling!

Generally speaking, your timing belt should be changed every 70-90,000 miles, so you are probably due.

It is pretty easy to do if you follow the proper procedures, but if you are not mechanically inclined, changing it may be something else for a mechanic to do.

Important!
Make sure that the mechanic that is doing the timing belt change either uses one of the many reference systems (FSM, Chilton, computerized database, etc.) OR that he removes the crank pulley by it's 4 smaller bolts and not by the large crank bolt on the end of the crankshaft! 

More timing belt replacements turn into major disasters because some pinhead mechanic breaks the crank bolt off or does not properly torque it down and use Loctite on it.  The result of this mayhem is a wallowed woodruff key and crankshaft damage which causes a wobbly crank pulley and increased loss of spark timing.   Those 4 small bolts that hold the crank pulley in place are ther so you DONT have to touch the crankshaft bolt.

Hope this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline kymike

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 07:10:19 PM »
there is a switch under the dash around the steering colum it is to reset the check eng light i think they come on at 90000 i am not sure you may have to unhook the battery when resetting ifv that doesnt work dont wory about it the things are a real pain and hard to get codes

Offline Sammy N Austin

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:03:14 AM »
Does my Samurai use an O2 sensor?
88.5 Samurai Soft Top
97 LX450

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:13:20 AM »
yes it uses a o2 sensor if its still stock.  Yes I would replace the timing belt, its not hard to do, just make sure you set the timing right when you do replace it.  also look under dash on drivers side there is a little black switch near steering column that will shut the check engine light off.  the miles meter trips it every so many miles.

John
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]