Hello Guest

New GV owner and forum member with questions...

• 10 Replies

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
New GV owner and forum member with questions...
« on: July 25, 2006, 05:02:58 PM »
Old car nut here. Just purchased a high mileage "one owner" 1999 Grand Vitara, 2.5, 4WD, 5speed.

Have some basic questions that I want to throw out to those who may have "been there, done that" already.

Prob #1. The key remote AND inside electic door lock switch only works the two back side doors and rear door, not the fronts. No solenoid noises heard FWIW either on the fronts. Door key locking works fine.  Wiring maybe?

Prob #2. Stock Clarion in-dash head unit's digital display is extremely dim, nearly un-readable.

Prob #3. While testing out the factory Clarion CD changer, ran the volume up pretty high and the l/f speaker quit working. Problematic? Or just my lucky day?  :(

Prob #4.  The clutch engages with the pedal just slightly off the floor. Linkage adjustment or Master /Slave cyl prob guys. Bleeding maybe?

Thanks folks! There will be more ???'s I'm sure.  ;)

Don

99' Suzuki Grand Vitara, 2.5, 4wd, 5spd.
72 Nova, SB, A/C, Power disk/drum & steering,
03' Honda Odyssey

Offline the_maplebar

Re: New GV owner and forum member with questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
Prob #2. Stock Clarion in-dash head unit's digital display is extremely dim, nearly un-readable.

Is there a dashmat or something obscuring the light sensor for the automatic headlights?  If the headlights are coming on (not the DRL) the stereo is much dimmer.   An easy check for this is to adjust the dash brightness.  You should only see a change when the headlights are on, it alwasy stays bright when they are off.
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline beerman

• Suzuki 4x4 Norway
    • www.tristania.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 05:47:31 PM »
Prob #4.  The clutch engages with the pedal just slightly off the floor. Linkage adjustment or Master /Slave cyl prob guys. Bleeding maybe?

is the clutch WERY hard?

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 06:05:33 PM »
Hmmm...it had a dash cover. Removed it today. I'll re-check the sensor / head unit display next.

Clutch pedal moves freely as it should.

Thanks guys. Keep em' coming.
03' Honda Odyssey

Offline beerman

• Suzuki 4x4 Norway
    • www.tristania.com
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:21:49 PM »
then this is not the issue: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13088.from1153863054#new

look above the pedal-set, the GV's hawe had issues with breakage in the axle that goes from the clutch pedal and to the pump.

if you look  over the gas pedal, you will see if it is broken.

it's a little hard to explain in other words...

if this is not the problem, it might well be the pump

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »
then this is not the issue: http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13088.from1153863054#new

You lost me on that one. That link is to a dash / lighting / gauges thread (unless I'm missing something).
03' Honda Odyssey

Offline beerman

• Suzuki 4x4 Norway
    • www.tristania.com
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 07:33:16 PM »

You lost me on that one. That link is to a dash / lighting / gauges thread (unless I'm missing something).

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=12225.0

sometimes, computers work against me... ???

no idea why, but i got the wrong link :-[

you see, my clutch house broke a while back.
and i did a lot of reasearch on GV clutch-issues, check the axle above the gas pedal +pump.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 08:13:12 AM »

For the Clarion unit I took from the '02 XL7, you have to push a button (the volume knob, I think) in for 2 seconds to switch the dim to bright.  Works great, until you turn the truck off, which resets it back to the crappy dim setting.

Also, whereas I like the 5-disc changer, I hate that there's no direct radio tuning.  Takes a crapload of presses to the 'up' or 'down' tuning buttons to get to a specific station.  Wish I hadn't sold my Tracker's 1-disc unit.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline Novadon

• South Carolina. USA
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:42:17 PM »
Hey thanks guys!

Checked the light sensor ideas. It's uncovered for sure now,  but I've still got the dim head unit display. I'll try the "knob push" brightness test mentioned in the last post. 

I've GOT 6 pre-set radio FREQ/buttons on my Clarion head / cassette unit, and it also has CD controls for the 5-disc FWIW.
03' Honda Odyssey

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 03:28:43 AM »
Worse comes to worse you can always get a better CD player with changer controls from Crutchfield.com or some other car audio store.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 06:38:10 AM »
I've GOT 6 pre-set radio FREQ/buttons on my Clarion head / cassette unit, and it also has CD controls for the 5-disc FWIW.
I've got the no cassette, 5-disc internal changer unit, but I imagine Clarion used the same silly brightness control for both.  If you can't figure it out, I've got the book in my glovebox and can revisit the actual lines of instruction for you.  Something about if the clock display is on, or not, or something, hold the button/knob in for 2 seconds. 
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com