Hello Guest

concerns w/ my 06

• 8 Replies

Offline bubbzuki

concerns w/ my 06
« on: March 25, 2006, 08:17:05 AM »
Hi all. I've had my 06 xsport for about 1 month now and have a few concerns.

1. When downshifting (automatic trans), there is a very noticeable lunge forward. It usually happens around 40mph, and with moderate braking. It's kind-of hard to replicate, and it doesn't seem to happen all the time.

2. When accelerating from a completely stopped position (turning to the L or R), you can feel a "rough" feeling through the steering. It's like the front end is somewhat locked in, or like binding while turning. This happens when on pavement. I havn't tried it on soft ground.

3. I can't seem to get the ESP brake system to turn off unless in 4wd.

4. Can't figure out how to remove stereo head unit to hook up extra subwoofer  ;D

I test drove another one with the lux package, and it did the same thing. The local dealer told me to give it about 90 days then check back. I've all ready got 1500+ miles on it. Any Ideas?

Thanks
bubb

wazzup bro?! (tntracker)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 08:14:58 AM by ebewley »

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: concerns w/ my 06
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »
Hi all. I've had my 06 xsport for about 1 month now and have a few concerns.

1. When downshifting (automatic trans), there is a very noticeable lunge forward. It usually happens around 40mph, and with moderate braking. It's kind-of hard to replicate, and it doesn't seem to happen all the time.

2. When accelerating from a completely stopped position (turning to the L or R), you can feel a "rough" feeling through the steering. It's like the front end is somewhat locked in, or like binding while turning. This happens when on pavement. I havn't tried it on soft ground.

3. I can't seem to get the ESP brake system to turn off unless in 4wd.

4. Can't figure out how to remove stereo head unit to hook up extra subwoofer  ;D

I test drove another one with the lux package, and it did the same thing. The local dealer told me to give it about 90 days then check back. I've all ready got 1500+ miles on it. Any Ideas?

Thanks
bubb

wazzup bro?! (tntracker)

#3 is the only one I have some input on.  When we were up at the test track/trail, our group was having trouble with this too. [getting the ESP to disengage] One of the engineers clued us into a sequence of button pushing/knob twistin' that turned it off. Unfortunately, I can't remember the sequence but I'm almost 100% positive that it was covered in the owners manual. Check that out...

Good luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline bubbzuki

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 10:02:17 AM »
thanks man. i'll try it out today.

found an interesting comment on the "lunge" on usa today's website:

"The five-speed automatic transmission, though a nice touch of sophistication in a low-price SUV, wasn't adept at picking the right gear to keep the engine perking along at its best. It was worse in the luxury version, and barely an annoyance in the XSport. Full-throttle downshifts involved a lag and lunge in both testers."  - http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2006-03-16-vitara-usat_x.htm

basspaul

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 09:20:54 AM »
I think there's a service bulleting covering the downshift lunging.

As for the rough feeling when starting with the wheels fully turned, it's normal. Check the owner's manual. Personally I thick it's the limited slip center diff doing it's job and diff'ing the front vs rear axle speeds.

Paul

Offline TN_Tracker

• TN Tracker's Suzuki Space
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 03:37:15 PM »
Hi all...wazzup bro?! (tntracker)

Hey little bro! I think you should give that '06 to me. ;) After we talked at the gym last night I decided to do a little research. Here's a TSB about your problem:

Make : SUZUKI Model : GRAND VITARA Year : 2006
Manufacturer : AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP.   
Service Bulletin Num : 0101276
NHTSA Item Number: 10019166   
Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary:
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION HARSH DOWNSHIFT. *TT 

I'd call Gatton's tomorrow and tell them about the TSB and schedule an appointment. If you want to see all of the TSB's go here and plug in the details: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

I'm a Proud Member of Team BlueRibbon Coalition & Tread Lightly, are you?

Offline bubbzuki

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 10:04:38 AM »
I took the gv to the dealership yesterday over the tsb on the transmission. After about 45 minutes, the tech told me Suzuki had not sent them the update cd as of yet. He said I was the first at that dealership to bring my gv back, and to check back in a couple of weeks.

Offline bubbzuki

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:04:15 AM »
Took the GV to the dealership again today. I had the oil changed and the "TCM" flashed with the transmission update. Everything seems to be okay now.

I started joking with the tech about getting a free tank of gas. No free gas, but a free oil change! He said since this was the second time I had to bring it in over the transmission, he'd take care of the charge.  coolness!

Offline TN_Tracker

• TN Tracker's Suzuki Space
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:53:17 PM »
Glad they got it fixed for you Bro

I'm a Proud Member of Team BlueRibbon Coalition & Tread Lightly, are you?

Offline eaglescout

• We Love Our Zuki
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 03:58:10 AM »
the esp will only disengage at under 19 miles per hour according to the owners manual It comes back on automatically at higher speeds
Hello from the Eaglesnest