Hello Guest

CV Quick Boots

• 1 Replies

Offline keith

CV Quick Boots
« on: May 23, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »
Has anyone had good results using a CV quick boot that is split and either bolts around the CV joint or is glued together?  I have read mainly negatives things about them, but have also read a few positive comments.  My local store has the bolt together type.  This is NOT for the Tracker, but for a car.  So far the CV is not clicking at all.  Also does the grease that comes with a new boot go mainly on the end of the joint or does it get distributed in the boot?

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: CV Quick Boots
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:50:35 AM »
Has anyone had good results using a CV quick boot that is split and either bolts around the CV joint or is glued together?  I have read mainly negatives things about them, but have also read a few positive comments.  My local store has the bolt together type.  This is NOT for the Tracker, but for a car.  So far the CV is not clicking at all.  Also does the grease that comes with a new boot go mainly on the end of the joint or does it get distributed in the boot?

I have dealt with "split boots" on a military truck (Pinzgauer 710M) with unsatisfactory results.  The only advantage in that instance was the ease of installation -- you didn't have to do some MAJOR disassembly to install them.

Automotive CV boots are a LOT easier to deal with!  So much so that I would consider automotive split-boots to be a waste of money.  As an example, rebuilding a Tracker CV shaft with new boots and grease takes about 30 minutes per side (newbie speed) once they are removed.  Add another 30 to 45 minutes to remove and install - assuming you have a basic metric wrench set and a good hydraulic jack.  Although rebuild kits come rudimentary instructions, a Chilton or Haynes manual can give you more precise guidance.

The grease that comes with the boot kit  is used to re-pack the CV joint itself rather than fill the CV boot.

Hope this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com