Hello Guest

Found a Sidekick for sale, need to be sure

• 11 Replies

Offline LiFe

• Sidekick loving man
Found a Sidekick for sale, need to be sure
« on: May 12, 2006, 04:14:12 PM »
I'm a student right now and I've found a Suzuki Sidekick '91 for sale for 1800 Canadian$, it has almost no rust (cannot be seen by eye) and it has 180 000 kilometers. The fact is I want it real bad coze I like Sidekicks but my father says that at 180 0000 kilo it's pretty risky to buy it and doesn't even need a road test.

I've heard that these little suzuki are really hard to kill but my father won't believe it or even think about it. What do you think ?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
Re: Found a Sidekick for sale, need to be sure
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 04:24:41 PM »
I went 200,000 miles before I burned an
exhaust valve (my bad) and then I bebuilt
it at 240,000 miles, you have 180,000 KM
or about 112,000 miles, lots of life left if you
change the oil and adjust the valves every
20K Km
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Jayzuki

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:28:56 PM »
What version? Is the machine 4-wheel drive? If the interior is in decent shape and it seems too run well, thats a good deal. Where are you located? I am in BC.

180 000 KMS is not above average. I was speaking with a guy the other day and his Sidekick has 400 000 on the original engine. It sounds decent man.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:30:48 PM by Jayzuki »

Offline LiFe

• Sidekick loving man
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 04:32:19 PM »
The one I saw is 2-door convertible with the 4x4 switchable.

I only post here to reassure my father, he's a mechanic in a mazda shop and I think he is just TOO Mazda lol ...

Anyway I'm in Québec province.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 04:42:43 PM by LiFe »

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
The one I saw is 2-door convertible with the 4x4 switchable.

I only post here to reassure my father, he's a mechanic in a mazda shop and I think he is just TOO Mazda lol ...

Anyway I'm in Québec province.

He's a Mazda guy? No wonder he thinks cars don't go past 150k - Mazdas burn up quck.

It's hard to say.... depends on how the other person drove / maintained their vehicle. If the interior is nice, and they have all their maintanence paperwork - I'd buy it at that price. If you're dad's a mechanic, have him do an inspection (compression etc) and see what he thinks.

~J~
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline locjaw

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:47:23 PM »
you better pick that up, NOW!!!! you better hurry B4 someone else here goes and snags it up ;) (i'm j/k guys)
but seriously, that is a great deal. you cn barely find them around here for less than $2000 US and those you do find for less have 200,000 miles on them
My daughters sidekick has 180,000 miles on it and it has had a rough life(I drove it for a while ;) ) and it's still strong
jason
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:55:38 PM »
i'd take it for a drive, check out the interior engine etc then if it runs well forget about how many miles it has on it, that's a great deal.  i just bought a 2dr 4wd 5spd '95 geo tracker with 120,000 miles on it for $3227 and didn't hesitate a bit about it.  it's in excellent condition though. 

mike
'95 geo tracker 2dr 5spd soft top with 2" suspension lift

Offline takai

• Yes, I drove that here. And No, it's not done!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 06:07:55 PM »
As long as the rig passes an inspection (compression, etc.) and an on road test I would say that it is decent buy.
87 Sammi "Sir Tweak " Rockcrawler 4:1, Mighty Kong , 1.6 16V, Centerforce II, 2" Exhaust, Esteem seats. - Long gone
97 Tracker "Jezebel"  Bone Stock DD

'Cause, I am to misbehave.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 07:04:50 PM »
pull back the carpet and check the floors, check the rocker panels underneath, and try to look under the rear bumper for rust/rot. If it's in good shape, it's worth it, 180k is just broke in for a suzuki  ;) but, even if you had to do a refresh rebuild(your dad's a mechanic, so only parts is the cost right?)it's still worth it. I think the biggest thing to watch out for is rust and rot in the body/frame, I've been searching for a rust free body locally(to swap onto mine), so far I've seen about 30 at junk yards, all rusty and rotton, but all of them would have started  ;)

Jayzuki

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 07:37:40 PM »
Something I ve learned when buying these Sidekicks is to really check the machine for rust, like Uncivilized stated. Its really easy to miss the rust on them because its covered by the bumpers, flooring, sidepanels and also the spare tire on the back. I know this because the last unit I purchased had the "hidden" rust issue.

You'll be looking at $3000CDN for body work to remove it. Most bodyshops wont start pulling things off for preparation unless they're painting the whole vehicle.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:40:54 PM by Jayzuki »

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 11:31:07 AM »
You'll be looking at $3000CDN for body work to remove it.
Don't ever pay this, Aftermarket4x4 sells rust free tubs, this way, you're sure the rust won't come back any time soon! I'm looking to get one shipped to Nova Scotia in the late summer, I hope I can get it, my rig is rotton! -Hidden rust, paid $2000 for it only to find out it didn't have much of a floor, rotton rocker panels and the rear is rotton too.

Offline LiFe

• Sidekick loving man
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
Well, here's an update, it seems that sidekick had a rough life, under it, it's perfored almost everywhere. It looks very clean but that's not the case when you take the time to look at all those hidden places.

It started really good but it ran at 3000 RPM for a while, whitout me even touching the gaz or anything else. I will see if he sells it, which I think not in this state, and I will do an offer with minus a thousand dollar.