Hello Guest

strut flip question

• 12 Replies

Offline zoomzoom

• Long Live the ZUKI!!!
strut flip question
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
i have removed the bolts on top of the strut to do the flip and i cant get the cup off the strut. do they get rusted on inside the sleave or what. i even bolted the 3 12mm bolts back on and tried to get the strut to push through with some inspiration (light beating) and no luck. am i doing this right?

thanks lance
91 Kick-2" suspension-Custom ford wheels(cut out)-4.24 transfer case-31's-homemade rear bumper-Home fixed ECM-

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: strut flip question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:06:56 PM »
Try spraying some liquid wrench or PB Blaster in there to loosen things up... Soak it good, let it sit a while and soak it again...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »
I have never been able to get mine out.  i took the nut off the top, let it soak in PB Blaster for 24 hours, took a section of 2x4 and a 3lb mini sledge while the wheel was hanging in the air and it would not budge at all.  The rubber started trying to come out of the metal, but the strut would not budge.  I figure I am going to have to get new struts that are longer (still on the hunt for those that will cross reference) and new mounting plates, or just build a spacer to go under the mount that is stuck on there.
Toolman

Offline zoomzoom

• Long Live the ZUKI!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:52:36 AM »
i finally got mine out, i beat on the strut top with a punch a few times and then jumped up and down on the hub and rotor. it might sound crazy but yes it works. let it soak and give it some abuse. good luck!
lance
91 Kick-2" suspension-Custom ford wheels(cut out)-4.24 transfer case-31's-homemade rear bumper-Home fixed ECM-

Offline joe_and_jeep

• Why have a Rev Limiter and not use it?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 10:22:49 AM »
I used a gear puller to do mine.  The 3 Jaw puller works grear.
96 Tracker DD - 2in, 30s
95 Tracker Under the Knife - 4.3V6 - Rest Unknown
91 Jeep YJ Full Cage, Tri Link, D44/D44 35s
84 Jeep XJ Doubler HP44/9IN 35s

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
i finally got mine out, i beat on the strut top with a punch a few times and then jumped up and down on the hub and rotor. it might sound crazy but yes it works. let it soak and give it some abuse. good luck!
lance

didn't have any issues with the coil popping out with that method?
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 01:02:12 PM »
I did try jumping up and down on the wheel also, still the same thing, mine are really really stuck in there.  Even if your coil does come out, they are not preloaded I dont' think, so it would just be a matter of putting it back in I think.
Toolman

Offline magiccat

• 94 Sidekick 2.5 spacer lift 30x9.5 mt's
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 11:30:57 PM »
this is sort of of subject but I was wondering, when you flip the front strut mount or add a spacer do you also need longer front shocks for more travel?

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 11:45:30 PM »
I did try jumping up and down on the wheel also, still the same thing, mine are really really stuck in there.  Even if your coil does come out, they are not preloaded I dont' think, so it would just be a matter of putting it back in I think.

they should be under pressure. I read up on how to lift a kick and they were using a jack to ease the A arm down instead of using a spring compressor and saying to be extremely careful because the coil was under extreme pressure.. I think it was on zuharre, keep that in mind, wouldn't want the coil to shoot out at your leg or whatever else. not sure if it would, but you know.. just what I read, haven't messed with my coils so I don't know first hand
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 12:17:15 AM »
The springs aren't under that much pressure.
To remove the upper strut mount, just remove
the bolts, the wheel can stay on, lower the shaft,
and do the flip.

The front is struts, not shocks, and teh reason
for the flip is to give more droop, moving the range
of travel down, but not really increasing it.

You could get a set of Old Man Emu struts, but they
are only 1 or 1-1/2" longer, don't know if they are
worth the price.

Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:06 AM »
do you know how much longer the calmini struts are than stock?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 10:14:12 AM »
AFAIK they are the same
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 10:16:55 AM »
alrighty, thanks