Hello Guest

baby diesel (it's a bad thing)

• 6 Replies

Offline prairie_dog

• 85/413 tin top
baby diesel (it's a bad thing)
« on: November 11, 2005, 09:44:05 PM »
 Ok so I didn't get all the bugs out >:( (1.6 swap)

It runs and drives just fine but makes a rattle when around 3000-4000 rpm (will quiet down if you back off the throttle), in the drive way it will only make this noise for a second when you give the throttle a quick snap.

I've done the valve adjustments to the book, set the timing 10 degrees BTDC, the plugs are gapped to 28 thou and have a nice brown color to them?

Everything is new gaskets, seals, belts, hoses, plugs, wires, I did everything but mess with it's gusts and am now officially stumped ??? ??? ???

Somebody please tell me what I'm missing (begg'n)
Steve :)
When this thing hits 88 MPH your gonna see some serious sh!t (hahaha)

Offline da_tub

• oops...can we still back up>?
Re: baby diesel (it's a bad thing)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 09:48:30 PM »
it's such a shame when a grown man cries....( :-[)   suck it up princess...
91 four door ,and some stuff

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:36:13 PM »
it sounds like bad gas or maybe some carbon buildup, try running some seafoam through it and then maybe back off the timing some more, I add a little bit of diesel fuel to mine like about .80 cents or so per ten gallons of unleaded to help with the ping of the new gas and help clean and lube the injectors. the color was the thing to do back when we had leaded fuel with a lot of lead in it,not sure you would still get color with out it, you can get injectors cleaned for 15.00 each.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline zaggy

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:13:02 AM »
Hey Prarie

I hate to say it but it might be the early on set of a rod bearing from the description you gave.

I'd check out the other stuff suggested first, and I hope I'm wrong, but from your description
it's only doing it under high load and/or really sudden acceleration and those are pretty classic signs.
     Whats you oil pressure at?

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
Just for the heck of it id try retarding the timing to 0degrees just to see what happens. It does kinda sound like some bad pinging.....or some rods.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 11:21:45 PM »
i had a 300z in my shop a while back and it made this rattle/knock sound - ended up being thr timing belt hitting the plastic cover(tensioner shot). does it sound more metalic and is it louder if you get under the vehicle while somebody else revs the engine? if it's louder uner the vehicle then i will have to go with zaggy on rod bearings.

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline Shadow

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 12:11:46 PM »
Check the crank key. This can cause a "knocking" type sound.