Hello Guest

My snorkel

• 34 Replies

Offline SnoFalls

Re: My snorkel
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2005, 01:32:12 PM »
IMO, you'll need to be 90+ to see a ram effect ... just not worth it (other than "looks")
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline zaggy

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2005, 02:07:26 PM »
     If you quit chasing the ram effect and just go for as much easy breathing air as possible it'l work just fine.......but don't ry deep water, then you need a snorkel and the compromises that go with it.
     As far as a hood scoop...as long as the water has a place to drain it is generally not a problem in the rain....just deep water.

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »
I shall solve this debate once and for all.

The stock air box is restrictive.  The 2" snorkle is just as restrictive, but allows for deepwater crossing, something I learned early on that it's a must. 

What everyone needs is a snorkle, be it 2" or whatever you can make up.   It looks cool and you can ford deep water.  For the highway, you need to have an access cover on the bottom of the air filter box, something perhaps with threads for a good seal, so that it provides a large opening for air to bipass the snorkle.   

an alternative is, simply disconnect the rubber hose  between the airbox and the aluminum intake runner thingy, put on a k&n filter.  I f you want cold air intake for that added 1 hp, get a 3" flexible dryer type hose, automotive specific, hook one end to the aluminum air intake ( with a reducer if required) or just a hose clamp, attach said k&n filter on other end and secure in front of vehicle.   

remember to remove filter if youre wheeling, dont want to soak it in mud if you dont have to.
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline zaggy

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2005, 02:41:08 PM »
Good thinkin

Removing the hose and stuffin on a cone type filter!

Simple, eloquent, affordable..............excellent thinking

Zag
92 Sidekick 4dr, Suzuki Powered Airplane

Offline toolman21

• 89 Kick with 5" lift and 30's
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
Well I just thought the hood scoop would be amusing when people found out it was functional, not worried about the +1 in HP, and I dont' do that much crossing deep water so that is not a problem.

Does anyone know if they make any type of piping in 3.5"  I can find 3 and 4, but not 3.5".  Just curious
Toolman