Hello Guest

Advice

• 8 Replies

Offline Hawklin

• If it cant be fixed with Duck Tape it aint broke
Advice
« on: April 24, 2005, 04:30:47 AM »
I've had this Geo for about 4 years as a beater to get back and forth to work and she just past the 1/4 million on the odometer. I'm getting ready to build her up for a trail ride and just wanted to get people's opinions on my plans, most of the guys I wheel with laugh at me for building up the geo instead of my yota.
It's a 90 Geo Tracker with the 1.6 8v motor im putting the 3 inch calmini lift along with the 3 inch body lift with the calmini header and cat back combo. Putting in the ez lockers in both diff's. Im really wanting to turn 33x12.50's but not sure what backspacing im going to need to keep those monsters off of my suspension. I do have a jig saw with a metal blade and Im not afraid to use it  ;D
Any advice on the pro's and con's of this setup will be appreciated thanks
Rob Cross
90 Tracker (sold :()
91 Toyota 4x4 bone stock other than a redneck lift(cranked T bars and a block in the rear) on 35's

Offline SnoFalls

Re: Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 04:37:18 AM »
My guess ...

33x12.50 with the lift your talking about would take 2.5" BS wheels. And you will be trimming. With that, I suspect you wouldn't rub.

I've got 2"BL, 1.75" spacer lift, fender trim job, 3.75" BS rims, and 31's have zero rub. I'm very close to being able to fit 33's, so your plans should do you fine.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 05:11:04 AM »
With that size of a tire make sure you buy an Idler arm from Sky Mfg.
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/
The stock one bend easily under the torque from the locker. You will also need a 4 to 1 t case or you will be smokin clutches.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005, 05:18:39 AM by mikerpm4x4 »
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 09:37:55 AM »
33x12.5s and a locker is going to put a lot of strain on the front axle housing. A GV housing and third member would be a good investment.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
33x12.5s and a locker is going to put a lot of strain on the front axle housing. A GV housing and third member would be a good investment.

A steel 3rd from a GV
Came in the 5spds  99-02
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Hawklin

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 03:03:43 AM »
If I hold off on the front locker and drop to a 32x11.5 would that alieviate some of the stress on the front end? With the lift and such wont leave much to buy a housing, so trying to do as much as possible with what I have atm.
Rob Cross
91 Toyota 4x4 bone stock other than a redneck lift(cranked T bars and a block in the rear) on 35's

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 03:34:48 AM »
Leaving the locker out will reduce the ammount of stress on your front axle. But everything is relative to how you drive and what kind of trail riding you plan on doing. I personally never broke a housing, locked, geared and on 33's but I went through axles and CV's. Then again there are people that run 32-33's and rarely have any trouble at all.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Hawklin

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 05:19:06 AM »
Well I'm pretty easy on my rig when wheeling, only time I remember being rough on my Toy is after high centering my ext cab on a hill. After a friend pushed me over it the only guy that could push me back was in a brand spanking new Jeep and wouldn't begin to think about pushing me so I sort of gave it a hail mary, but at least I made it back over. The guys watching said I only got about 5 feet between my front tires and the ground  :D
Rob Cross

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 08:54:21 AM »
I have a 93 Sunrunner with 4 ich body lift and 1 inch coil spacers.  I ran 33x12.5 for years, only blew the front diff once, in reverse, when it's the weakest.  If you dont dump the clutch, you'll be fine.  A bit of cutting, you'll only rub if you have the wheel turned to the extreeme left or right.  
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!