Hello Guest

my friends zook runs hot, whats wrong?

• 7 Replies

Offline 6feetofAIR

• i wanna go to hawaii yayyyyyyyyyyyyy yy
my friends zook runs hot, whats wrong?
« on: September 25, 2003, 03:44:34 PM »
everything seems allright, guessing its the thermostat, radiater looks ok, heat gauge is running 3/4 hot is this normal? thanks in advance!

Offline 6feetofAIR

Re: my friends zook runs hot, whats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 09:53:39 AM »
bumpity bump bump bump! ;D

Offline trialspro

• 1984 suzuki sj410 lwb, spoa... rusty
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2003, 10:40:19 AM »
mine runs that hot when it idles for a while, i had an 88 sprint that ran hot too and theyre both suzuki engines... so i dunno, my exhaust manifold is RED hot when i turn the engine off... kinda scary, but apparently normal

Offline 6feetofAIR

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2003, 10:43:31 AM »
have you considered getting a larger performance radiator? do you have any other suggestions? this is scary to myself, i am used to running at 1/2 not 3/4 hot!

btw thanks for the input!!!

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2003, 11:48:27 AM »
everything seems allright, guessing its the thermostat, radiater looks ok, heat gauge is running 3/4 hot is this normal? thanks in advance!

Your description of the problem is so vague; it is hard to answer. I'd do the following things in this order:

1) check coolant level and quality.
2) check and fix faulty engine electrical grounds.
3) check thermostat [boiling water trick]
4) check clutch on fan [ at this point I just replace it]
5) have radiator flushed / checked
6) replace water pump.

Of course, there may be other symptoms that would change the order. Like a drooling water pump [fix water pump] or faulty/erratic gas gauge with a sudden change in temp [fix grounds].

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

-Eric

P.S. Don't put money into aftermarket radiators, electric fans, flex fans. You'll just mask the problem. The cooling system is more than adequate for the 1.3 and even the 1.6 when all parts are working. I've wheeled in hotter areas like Death Valley, Big Bear, and Moab [even a 100+ day in central Oregon]in extreme heat on the trail and have not had difficulty.
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline 6feetofAIR

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2003, 12:00:59 PM »
great stuff thanks ebewley!!

the ground problem sounds like the culprit! well try everything you have mentioned.

Offline DSHornet

• Logs and Sidekicks don't mix well at 60 MPH.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 04:24:40 PM »
I've had my '94 JX about 2-1/2 years and the only time I've seen it run hot was last spring when we had a warm snap and I forgot to take the cardboard out from between the radiator and the condenser. Even in the heat and humidity of a typical Southeast US summer with the A/C maxed out, it stays at mid range on the gauge. One less thing to worry about.

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) doesn't transfer heat nearly as well as water. A 50/50 mix is best for all but -30 degree weather. A 70/30 mix will give maximum freeze protection but it isn't good to run it that way in summer.

Don, y'all
Paw-paw Don, y'all
.Late '94 Sidekick 1.6 ragtop, slightly modified.
Favorite saying: "One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule."

Offline trackinstile

• Too young to quit........Too old to change........
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2003, 11:22:56 AM »
I had that problem with my 90 Trooper 2.6.  It was an aftermarket thermostat >:(  I went to the dealer, got a genuine Isuzu thermostat and everything was AOK ;D.  I had noticed the difference in the quality of the casting work and the little check valve between OEM and the aftermarket, the aftermarket was rather poor.  Since then it ran right where it should, even in the hotest days of summer, no problem.  Hope this helped a little, I don't know what SUzuki, or aftermarket T-stats look like, haven't had to change mine yet ;D  Dave
A wise man once said, "Wherever you go...........There you are.............." 2000 Tracker 4 door with the 2.0 liter "Big Block". 5 speed 4WD  2001 XL-7 EX II