Hello Guest

Idling problem when a/c compressor goes off...

• 13 Replies

Offline wiretap_MD

• Where the Road Ends...Life Begins!
Idling problem when a/c compressor goes off...
« on: August 27, 2003, 06:45:36 AM »
Hello guys from the Philippines! Glad to join this forum and meet fellow Zuki enthusiasts from all over.  My ride is a 1995 4-door Vitara.  I have a small idling problem.  With the a/c off, my engine idles at 800 rpm.  Once the a/c compressor engages, the engine compensates for the load drain and increases the idling to 1000rpm.  This is normal as what I read from the Vitara shop manual.  However, once the compressor goes off, instead of the rpm needle going back to 800, it dips to about 600rpm before it goes back to 800 rpm after about 2-3 seconds.  Can anyone share to me a possible explanation as to what is causing this?  Thanks so much in advance.

'01 Sidekick: OME-Calmini Hybrid Suspension, 1.5-inch spacers, Bilstein 5125 re shocks, 2-inch bodylift, 30x9.5 BFG, Safari Snorkel, ARB bumper, Custom rear bumpe

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
Re: Idling problem when a/c compressor goes off...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2003, 01:31:59 PM »
Dirty throttle valve or a lazy idle speed stepper motor.
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2003, 01:55:34 PM »
mine does the same thing...it takes a bit of getting used to...you think its gonna stall out then it takes off again....

Offline wiretap_MD

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2003, 09:32:33 PM »
samurai_hamster:  My engine is a 1.6liter EFI.  Where do I find the throttle valve or the lazy idle speed stepper motor? How do I clean it? Thanks!

'01 Sidekick: OME-Calmini Hybrid Suspension, 1.5-inch spacers, Bilstein 5125 re shocks, 2-inch bodylift, 30x9.5 BFG, Safari Snorkel, ARB bumper, Custom rear bumpe

Offline DSHornet

• Logs and Sidekicks don't mix well at 60 MPH.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 11:02:02 PM »
I suggest checking for fault codes in the ECU, and checking your ignition timing. What you describe is common operation, though.

Don, y'all
Paw-paw Don, y'all
.Late '94 Sidekick 1.6 ragtop, slightly modified.
Favorite saying: "One need never apologize for exercising the Golden Rule."

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 03:53:40 AM »
You might try turning your idle adjustment screw to see if you can raise your idle up a little bit, it might make things a little more comfortable. I usually idle at about 800-900 and when my AC comes on it goes up to about 1100. I don't have much of a "lag" though when my AC pump turns off.

The idle screw is located here:

It can be adjusted with a phillips. Leave your engine running while you do it so you can get to what is comfortable.

Heather
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline Samurai_Hamster

• 87 Octane knocker of a motor.
    • Samurai Hamster
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2003, 09:47:07 AM »
Heather is right on.  This is the post I was hoping to see here ;D
The Zuke is on its way out.  Getting a vehicle that will behave and be supported by the dealer.

Offline wiretap_MD

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2003, 02:56:15 PM »
Heather:  I've tried doing that already to no avail.  What more do you suggest?  Do you think it could be my a/c compressor?  Like it gives too much of a strain to the system when the magnetic clutch engages or disengages probably due to a bad bearing?

jdraper

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2003, 11:33:20 PM »
I highly doubt it's the compressor causing that to happen since it occurs when the compressor is off.  Most likely cause is what Samurai_Hamster said about the idle speed control motor being a little slow to respond.  The solenoid might be sticking a little or it might have a problem.  It may also be the computer dropping the idle off too quickly when it senses the load on the motor has gone away when the compressor turns off.

BTW, can't help you with where the solenoid is since I don't have a Vitara, but what you are describing can happen to any type of vehicle.

Offline wiretap_MD

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2003, 05:33:23 AM »
I hope this isn't a dumb question, but where could I find the solenoid valve in my engine so I could check on it? Thanks.

Offline wiretap_MD

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2003, 08:25:03 PM »
Just upping the thread...any more ideas? Thanks!

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2003, 10:16:03 AM »
WELL TODAY WAS THE FIRST DAY THAT I HAVEN'T USED MY A/C SINCE I BOUGHT MY KICK :) AND IT STILL DOES IT SO A/C NOT THE CULPRIT AS NOTED HERE.....I WILL BE MESSING WITH IT THIS WEEKEND HOPEFULLY THOUGH....GONNA BE INSTALLING MY LIFT ON SATURDAY AS LONG AS IT SHOWS UP BY THEN :-/ WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY BUT NO KIT YET :'(  BUT MY SUPERWINCH LOCKING HUBS CAME IN THOUGH ;D

Offline wiretap_MD

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2003, 06:48:20 PM »
Fixed the problem!  Apparently, the auxillary fan for the a/c was sucking too much current from the electrical system.  How did I discover it? Well lately I noticed that whenever I use air conditioning and when the compressor disengages, it emits a short squealing sound.  I brought my Zuk to an a/c shop here and they installed a BOSCH relay to the auxillary fan.  Problem solved!!!

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2003, 12:56:57 AM »
GLAD TO SEE YOU FOUND THE PROBLEM  :D