Hello Guest

Samurai Sway bar

• 10 Replies

Offline tonka

Samurai Sway bar
« on: October 01, 2003, 04:53:08 AM »
I removed the sway bar from my samurai so that the suspension can move a little better off road. It seems to ride better on the road but it does lean more in turns. I wanted to see what other people's experiences were without a sway bar and any problems I might have.

Thanks

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Samurai Sway bar
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 05:03:38 AM »
I removed the sway bar from my samurai so that the suspension can move a little better off road. It seems to ride better on the road but it does lean more in turns. I wanted to see what other people's experiences were without a sway bar and any problems I might have.

Thanks

My first mod and first mod to recommend to others. I think it really helps the Samurai handle better both off and on road. More predictable with better feedback in the corners on road and a little more flex off road.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

jdraper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 06:38:46 AM »
Mine is long gone too, and it handles fine.  Best thing I did to improve the handling on and off road was to fabricate a trac bar for the front axle.  Massive improvement in steering response.  It also made the handling in cross winds much more stable and predictable.

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 10:30:10 AM »
I have about 4 of those swar bars in my garage..........ill let em go cheap!lol ;) Seriously that is definatley the first mod to do.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 03:13:59 PM »
quick ?  I was thiking about removing mine on a tracker but some say it would flex too much ( like thats a bad thing?)and tear up the cv boots. Has anybody done that?
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 11:30:24 AM »
The CVs will survive, not to worry.
The problem is the lean in the turns
makes a big difference with it on, so
get used to the cornering before you
push it too hard.
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 12:22:23 PM »
Well'the way I like to drive I thought about a Quick-disconnect but there's not alot of room to work with.You can't move it up out of the way enough because of the steerring. 'O' well, it was just something to chew on.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline ga_zuki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 01:10:28 PM »
okies i guess it's my turn now

i have had the sway bar connected since it was born the idiot before me after doing the spoa welded the steering shock to the sway bar.

so after doing the rears upfront with a different mix than the normal. i made my own u-bolt plates and kept the sway bar pins.

then i added power steering and was able to get rid of the shock. so i never reconnected the sway bar back to the frame but left it at the u-bolt plates i drove it for a week put it on the ramp and checked the axle movement

then reattached the sway bar and rechecked the axle movement and drove it for another week.
well a month later i still have the sway bar connected.

it still flex's the same the sway bar does not hold it back at all. and the road handleing is night and day.
i have two real bad s-curves and have severe body roll and some bump steer but reconnected the sway bar and  no bump steer and no body roll.
i do not understand why everyone say to disconnect it.
i also dont have a pan hard i was going to build one but i was told i did not need it and so far i dont.
ofcourse if i add it later i have room on my u-bolt plate because i made them to handle the pan hard from the start. i also made all the stuff to put the power steering on myself. while i was at it i added shock towers to the front

the rti pics the sway bar is off of the frame tires are about 24" off the ground and i have a 5" z-bar

here are some pictures i have more if you would like

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 02:01:40 PM »
I think the sway bar would have less of an effect
on a straight axle than a IFS, as the IFS seems
to move more, which causes force on the opposite
wheel, be it up or down. I notice my zook don't
move the same as the Sammies, more wheel
movment and less body movement, but I could
be wrong, it's just an observation from the pilots
seat
;)
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

jdraper

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 11:23:11 PM »
With my Sammy, I tried driving with it installed, and without it installed, and mine really didn't drive any different.  However, I do have considerably more articulation with it removed.  ga_zuki, what are you running for shocks?  That might be part of it.  I'm running Doetsch Tech long travel shocks.  I also have an OME steering stabilizer, and OTT steering which wiped out my bumpsteer completely (Manual steering).

Here's the flex that I get.  I don't think I was fully extended when the shot was taken.

Offline ga_zuki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2003, 01:35:35 PM »
in the pics above and repeated in this post

no shock on the rti

i have around 11" of extended travel  the shocks i currently run or monroes which bottom out 1/2 past max flex which will be replaced when i get the money

in the pic i was useing 3368 doestech which will also work to set up the shock towers