Hello Guest

spools?  whats that?

• 12 Replies

Offline bandit86

• elv8rguy
spools?  whats that?
« on: October 26, 2003, 04:55:26 AM »
I heard a lot about lockers and spools. I know what lockers are but never heard of spools
TO BOLDLY GO WHERE NO JEEP HAS GONE BEFORE!

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: spools?  whats that?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 05:02:36 AM »
a spool repalces the rear carryer with a solid peace of steel.  no one makes a spool for the Side/tracker rear or front end.  Some one makes a mini spool that replaces the spider gears in the carryer to a peace of steel.   with a spool both rear wheels will turn at the same speed all the time.  they will never unlock.  this is y i run a spool in the back so i have all the power thair all the time.  lata Stu

jdraper

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2003, 07:40:40 AM »
There is a downside to spools over a locker.  Yes, they are considerably cheaper, and never unlock, but they put a lot more strain on the drivetrain when running on pavement since the outside wheel can't rotate faster than the inside wheel in a corner.  On the lighter trucks like a Zuk, it's not as bad as it is on full sized trucks, but it does take it's toll on components.  However, if the truck is purely an offroader, that's the way I'd go.

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2003, 08:25:30 AM »
Read my post on the lockrite topic.

Later,

Bill

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2003, 11:00:04 PM »
Heather (hcgalvin) started a thread awile back about the down side of the spool in a 4dr kick. Search the board for it...good stuff w/ some good pics.
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 05:05:51 AM »
Spools were meant for strips, 1/4 mile and such.  No damage going straight.  Lots of spool options for popular strip diffs, like the venerable Ford 9".

Folks use them off road usually for one reason, they're cheaper than a lunch-box locker (the lockers Zooks use).   A spool in a D60 under a CJ for a trailer queen is fine, and eliminates the typical problems associated with a locker (pin munch, sidegear wear, etc).  In an anemic Zook axle, it's suicide.

In a Zook, personally, I think it's being pennywise and poundfoolish, especially if it will see asphalt or a lot of slickrock.  Axles just can't take the sonstant stree over time, and the the money saved on the spool is spent on replacing shafts.

And being locked all the time is not always a good idea, especially for crawling, trail riding, or the road.  Sometimes a locker, especially the front, can be the reason you have a problem on certain obsticles.  Been there, done that, got the dent.

If you can spend the cash, or save until you can, a selectable locker is really the best way to go.  Spooled when you need it, open when you don't.  Axle stress reduced and shaft life extended tremendously.  In the long run, you may spend more replacing shafts/fBirfs in spooled axles than the cost of the selectable locker.

That's my 2 cents.
Yankee Tim

Offline Natebert

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 01:40:02 PM »
Spools were meant for strips, 1/4 mile and such.  No damage going straight.  Lots of spool options for popular strip diffs, like the venerable Ford 9".

Folks use them off road usually for one reason, they're cheaper than a lunch-box locker (the lockers Zooks use).   A spool in a D60 under a CJ for a trailer queen is fine, and eliminates the typical problems associated with a locker (pin munch, sidegear wear, etc).  In an anemic Zook axle, it's suicide.

In a Zook, personally, I think it's being pennywise and poundfoolish, especially if it will see asphalt or a lot of slickrock.  Axles just can't take the sonstant stree over time, and the the money saved on the spool is spent on replacing shafts.

And being locked all the time is not always a good idea, especially for crawling, trail riding, or the road.  Sometimes a locker, especially the front, can be the reason you have a problem on certain obsticles.  Been there, done that, got the dent.

If you can spend the cash, or save until you can, a selectable locker is really the best way to go.  Spooled when you need it, open when you don't.  Axle stress reduced and shaft life extended tremendously.  In the long run, you may spend more replacing shafts/fBirfs in spooled axles than the cost of the selectable locker.

That's my 2 cents.

Speaking from experience.  I totally agree with what was just said.  
Our 'mini' ended up costing us more in tire wear, axles, and misc other stuff in the past 8 months that we had it installed then it would have cost to have an ARB purchased and installed by a professional shop.

~Nate

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 02:13:19 PM »
 SO NATE YOU HAVE NOW ON THE RECORD ;D ARE STATING A MINI SPOOL ON A MULTI USE KICK IS NOT ADVISABLE ::)  I WAS WAITING TO SEE YOUR FINAL THOUGHTS ON TIRE WEAR AND SUCH  ;)

Offline Natebert

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 02:10:10 AM »
Yah.  The hard daily driver,  A.K.A. pizza delivery driver, with a mini-spool, put some serious wear on all items involved.  

The first few months (3-5) didn't seem that bad.  Tire wear didn't appear to be that great, we had no brakage of parts and were able to wheel in places never before imagined with more weight in gear in the rig then recommended  (1000lbs +) on most trips.  (Way overloaded)

However about 8 months after the install;
While driving empty on flat pavement, the drivers side axle gave up, right at the splines, when we pulled it all apart, the other axle splines where twisted also.

The actual brakage event may be contributed to the fact that the truck was being driven 'harder' around town during that month.  Due to a high level of confidence in our axles.  The county 'chip seals' the roads with tar and gravel, making the road conditions harder on equipment.  (hard occilations on the axles during corners)  And general wear over time weakening the axles.

We replaced the axles, left the spool in and continued for about another month and really began to 'see' tire wear.  The milage of the tires didn't add up to the wear we were experiencing.  We took out the spool and totaled up our losses.

When all was said and done the mini-spool was more expensive of an adventure then an ARB would have been.

These issues were not totally unexpected, but thought to be 'tolerable', but in the end a switchable locker would have been the better choice.

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 04:38:08 AM »
Nate,

I dont want to start a big argument but saying that an ARB would be cheaper is a bit hard to swallow. Just the ARB is over $699 + ARB air supply $229 + airtank $40 + ARB airline kit $40 . Thats alot of axles, silicone and gear oil. A lockrite is more compareable at $200 than an ARB setup at $1000+. Again Im not trying to attack you but just voicing an opinion on comparability.

Later,
Bill

Offline Natebert

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2003, 06:17:13 AM »
no attack taken
Don't forget $800+ tires.

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2003, 07:59:27 AM »
Nate,
A lockrite is more compareable at $200 than an ARB setup at $1000+. Again Im not trying to attack you but just voicing an opinion on comparability.

Later,
Bill

I got a rear Kick ARB with pump and air-up kit for $800.  Cheap for what you get, if you ask me.

A lockright doesn't eliminate stress on the road.  Unless the corners are made in neutral throttle, the rear locks and is in effect a spooled diff.  Also, a locker loads and unloads, which adds stress.

A locker is a more "streetable" option than a spool, but it's not the best solution.

For a DD that sees the trails, an air locker is more than worth it's cost.  Besides the hard $$ figures that can be saved by having axles/tires last longer, the net safety and ease of driving on the road with the ARB disengaged is immeasurable.  Hell, even for a hard core rockcrawler, selectable lockers are still the best choice.

A "lunch box" locker is a little better roadwise than a spool, and is fine if that's all you can afford.  But if you want to plan long term, and want the best solution for both on and off trail, then save and INVEST in air lockers.  It may very well be less expensive in the long run, IMHO.
Yankee Tim

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2003, 08:08:24 AM »
ARB Locker $650
ARB Air Supply $200
33" Swampers $280
Reliability in a daily driver....Priceless
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.