Hello Guest

suspension

• 4 Replies

Offline DoctorD

• No such thing as too many toys!
suspension
« on: November 21, 2003, 01:14:56 AM »
greetings bruthas & sisters,
After checking out all of the suspension options for my samurai, I have pretty much decided on CJ fronts on the rear, and sammy rears on the front.  I scored on a set of Rancho 2.5 cj's for $35 new from Summit.  I figured I would go with National 3" rears, but after looking at the Rancho specs for their sammy rears, I am left in a quandry.  The rear springs (ranchos) are rated at 156lbs, the front ranchos are 256.  This makes me wonder if any rears springs are too soft to run on the front.  I know this is a fairly common set up, that Rancho's are typically known as stiff, and that I can't consider the Rancho rates as any where near stock.  But I am wondering if I should just buy the rancho rear cj's that match the front I have, and just run cj all around.  The cost is pretty close to the same.  Any opinons...any one done a complete cj swap?

D  
In search of new toy

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
Re: suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 03:53:32 AM »
Hey Doc,

I've got the rancho 1.5 rears front and back, nice ride in front (much better than stock IMHO) w/ good flex.  The rear end sits a bit low and rides hard, so I was thinking of the front cjs also.
How many leafs in the summit cj packs? Are you planning on longer shackles or are you moving the frame perch fwd?
I've got some pics I scanned of the install on webshots, search Ronzuki.

Let us know how you make out.
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509

Offline DoctorD

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 04:29:48 AM »
Ron,
       I got the competition springs # RS44082, 7 leaves, 330lbs.  I figure I could remove leaves as needed to get the right height/feel for the rear.  I am going to both move the perch, and use longer shackles.  I am building dog leg shackles like rro supplies with thier yj conversion.  Sounds like I might be able to use the Rancho 1.5 rears for the front, if they are rather stiff to begin with.  Heck, I might even do a SR while I'm at it.

D
In search of new toy

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 05:57:13 AM »
Doc, check the specs on that competition spring from Rancho. I believe it is 2.5" wide. Stock sammi running gear is 2". You might want to check the RS44092 (325lbs.) :)
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509

Offline DoctorD

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 06:16:43 AM »
Yep I know.  I'll have to build new plates for the springs.  But since they were on clearence at summit, I got them for $21.50 each, then I had 20 summit bucks, so, at my door they were $35.50 total.  Since I fabricate for fun, it's just another reason to be in the garage burning steel.
This stuff isn't that new to me, this is the third rig that I've built my own suspension for.  The first was an early bronco(wish I still had that one), the second was a 85 ford f-250 with ifs.  That one was a challenge!  I may just buy a set of cj rears and convert the whole thing.  Now do i want a VW diesel or a turbo coupe 2.3l, hmmm.

D
In search of new toy