Hello Guest

Spare tire mount

• 3 Replies

Offline standog

Spare tire mount
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:49:24 AM »
Has anybody put a larger tire wheel combo on the back of there Vitara using the stock mount. I have an 03 and need to get a new spare and the stock one sits so close to the bumper cut out I don't see how a bigger one would fit. Any ideas.

Offline UberAsuna

• Asuna Sunrunner 92'
    • Cranky's Ghetto My Website
Re: Spare tire mount
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 01:41:30 AM »
yeah is there any way to fit a 31" in the back without having to loose the bumper ?? easy ways plz hehe mine is a 92'
It's A Zuki Thing, Dig It Sucka ;) :D ;D

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 03:00:45 AM »
Not positive since I ditched my back bumper after doing the body life on my 90 Tracker, but I think it might just fit on the 1st gen kicks/tracks.  

The way the bumpers on the newer ones have the rounded cutout though I think you'd probably have to make some sort of extension bracket type thing to move the centerpoint of the wheel a bit higher.  

Some bar stock and a drill would most likely be enough to do the trick, then you'd have to weld some appropriately sized threaded studs on the extension pieces.  Bolt the extension pieces on to the existing studs on the factory mount and you should be all set. Making this look nice might require cutting off part of the original studs to shorten them or outright welding the extensions on the original bracket.  Depends how permanent you want it to be and how nice you want it to look more than anything.  I'm sure there'd be a bit more work than I described involved such as spacers so everything clears the old stuff nicely, but it should be enough to get you going if you like the general idea.  

Alternately you could probably accomplish the same thing with some 1" or 1.5" thick aluminum and it would look much cleaner. (probably hold up better too honestly)  It would also be able to be a completely bolt on piece that way kinda like the bolt on wheel spacers work. Shouldn't require a whole lot of machining either so it probably wouldn't cost a whole lot to go that route instead.

Offline Snoopy

• Arriba, Arriba, Andale, Andale
    • Cardomain
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 04:13:14 AM »
I have a 2000 3 door tracker and the 31 mud fits fine on the spare, the problem is that is to heavy and the door is breaking apart, you better check it twice.

Regards / Saludos
Alberto de la Garza
2000 Tracker