Hello Guest

Coil Suspension on a Samurai

• 13 Replies

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
Coil Suspension on a Samurai
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:30:44 AM »
I have been looking at the Deluxe Coil Suspension System on Rocky-road.com.   I am thinking about getting this suspension, but would like to know if anyone else has this, and if so... How does it handle during normal driving conditions...? What makes it not safe for public road use? Does anybody think that it is worth getting compared to leafs or the Quarter Eliptic Suspension systems?
     Thanks
           Brian

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: Coil Suspension on a Samurai
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 07:11:29 AM »
I have only seen the Quarter Eliptic Suspension on one persons rig.  A guy that did the Top Truck Challenge a few year back and his heep really didn't do vary good.  I think if he would of gone with coil al the way around then he would have done better.  So what i'm saying in go for coils.  lata stu

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 07:38:35 AM »
Ive read that the coil suspension is not legal for road use. Why is this? And, what could happen if I did happen to use it on the road? Im just curious to find out more info about it before I decide whether or not I want to buy it ...

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 10:10:02 AM »
Anything that is road legal has to be goverment approved and meet certain standards.  And should that part fail the manufacturer is held responsable.

When they say "off road use only" or "not for road use", that means they don't meet any gov. standards and if you take it onto the road and something breaks and you get into an accedent.  They aren't responsible.

You will not get a ticket, unless you don't meet some kind of hight law and such.  Most policemen here in Michigan don't even know what the hight law is here.

I say most stuff made for off road use is made beond the Manufactures spects.  And is most likely ok for the road.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline brlj

• 6" Lift w/ 33x12.50 TSL Radials, Exoskeleton
    • Bills 93 Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 11:22:35 AM »
I met a guy at a swap meet that had the RR rear coil setup. He said he liked it. The only thing he found bad about it is where the upper Y link connects to the rear housing the bushing supplied did not last long at all. He and a friend had a fix for it and was going to see if RR was interested, so at least ask RR about that problem.

Later,
Bill

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 10:52:29 PM »
Good, thats what I wanted to hear about driving it on the street....
I wonder if everything will fit and bolt up fine seeing as how I had to move my T-case back about 8inches for the longer tranny....  Guess im going to have to call them to know for sure....
        Thanks everybody!

Offline Z3bra

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2003, 12:12:22 AM »
Yep the off road use only thing is basically a liability disclaimer from the manufacturer.  It's doubtful any police officer is going to mess with you, they're really not the ones to make the call on that sort of thing anyway.

The only other place where you might encounter a problem is if you got in a wreck.  There's a good chance the insurance company that's facing a payout will try to use it to weasel out of paying you for damages if they catch on that you're using aftermarket parts on your suspension, brakes, whatever else they deem could contribute to an accident. Granted it's pretty much their job to look for stuff like that so they can avoid paying whenever possible and they are in business to make money not give it away, but that doesn't make me despise insurance companies any less.

If you have annual inspections where you live you could run into a problem. That's one of the better things about Arizona with regard to stuff like this.  There are no inspections unless you're bringing it from out of state for the first time and even that one's pretty lame as they just check your VINs to make sure it matches and check stuff like taillights and blinkers working.  The downside is that thanks to the EPA they're kinda nazi bastards about emissions in the counties that Phoenix and Tucson are in.  They're more stringent than California in terms of how the procedure is done and you have to go to a state run smog check place and let the trained monkeys that work for the company they contract to do the inspections drive your rig on the dyno.  No way in hell I could get away with a big chevy v8 in my tracker here. (even if I could make it fit)

On a mostly unrelated DMV note, I'm kinda sad about our DMV's take on my tracker this year, they said it's assessed value is only 600 bucks.    Not good if it got wrecked because I'd have to go to a lot more work convincing the insurance bozos of it's actual value to get enough for it to replace it.  But hey it's only 25 bucks to register it now, it was 50 last year.  Think I might pony up the extra 25 bucks a year for the veterans plates finally.

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 12:30:27 AM »
Yea, we got inspection and emissions testing here in Texas... It sucks. They just started it in May 2003. My stickers expire March 2004... Im sure I can get my samurai to pass. I just need to put an exhaust system on it (with cats this time), and put my EGR back on, then lean out the carb quite a bit and im sure it will pass with a little help from a friend that does emissions....

My brother on the other hand, has an 89 Volvo with nearly 200k miles, runs like crap, still has the original spark plug wires, had a vacuum leak, and passed emissions testing with no problem.

I understand what your saying about insurance companies and all. I was just curious how the suspension system handles during on road driving. Like, will it be easier to roll or whatnot....

Offline 1bigtracker

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 12:40:26 AM »
You might need sway bars?  :'(   lata stu

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 12:45:47 AM »
Sway bars with quick disconnects, that way they could be disconnected when I go offroad or something.

Offline 1bigtracker

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 12:47:11 AM »
Ya that what i ment.  so are you going for a 4 link or what?  lata stu

Offline r0ckstarr79

• Chevy + Zuk
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2003, 01:11:12 AM »
Just planning ahead, gathering ideas and such... I plan on doing alot more to the suspension on the samurai after I drop in the new motor.....

Offline rockyroad

• World's Largest Selection of Suzuki Offroad Parts
    • Rocky Road Outfitters
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 12:53:59 AM »
We have redesigned the rear Y-link. It now incorporates a Johnny Joint bushing setup instead of a radius arm bushing mount. Much more solid and will eliminate any problem associated with the bushings.

If anyone has our old style Y-link, I invite them to email me and we can swap you up to the new system!

If anyone has questions regarding our coil system, please feel free to contact me direct by email.
Glenn Wakefield
www.rocky-road.com

World's Largest Selection of Aftermarket Suzuki and Geo Offroad Parts, Lowest Prices, 24-Hour Online Shopping!

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 07:56:53 AM »
There you go, right from the horses mouth!!   :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:57:06 AM by lil_Truck »
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.