Hello Guest

Sami Front Axles

• 9 Replies

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
Sami Front Axles
« on: December 23, 2003, 11:42:07 PM »
Possible dumb question here   :P

Does anyone know if there are any differences between pre 88.5 and the later model axle shafts?  I've always thought they were the same, but I saw an add for parts somewhere that led me to believe the post 88.5s were different somehow. They had two p/ns listed for each shaft. My ride is a 91 and I've found an 86 to yank parts from.  Thanks

Ron
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509

jdraper

Re: Sami Front Axles
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 02:31:13 AM »
They may have a different spline count on them, but I'm not 100% sure.

Hey, does that Zuk have a good tranny in it??  I'm looking for a replacement for mine.  When it's cold outside and I let the clutch out in neutral, the rpm's drop a couple hundred, and the truck crawls forwards  :o !  I've got some serious friction issues inside the tranny.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 02:59:52 AM »
Have you changed the tranny oil ??
Try some multi grade tranny juice,
it might help your drag issues
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

jdraper

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 06:54:56 AM »
It's been changed several times with several different grades.  Hasn't helped a bit. :(  The thing has almost 300k on it, so I'm not surprised it's acting up.

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2003, 03:41:46 PM »
The heavy weight of gear oil will cause
a creep in a cold trans, as the oil causes
sort of a friction.

jdraper

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2003, 11:11:58 PM »
This is a lot more than a little creep.  On a flat surface, it will drive itself away.  I've had many vehicles with manual transmissions, and never one that did this.  The friction is enough to stall the motor at idle if I don't use my hand throttle to elevate the idle for a couple of minutes when it is first started.  I was gonna rebuild it myself (rebuilt a couple of manuals before), but the 1st gear synchro feels like it's on the way out too, and it's probably cheaper for me to find one with a lot lower mileage in a boneyard.

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2003, 04:14:28 AM »
It Drives Away !!!  LOL  Did you learn this from
an expierience you had ???    :o

I think U need a tranny  ;)
Happy Holidays
Darrin

jdraper

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 09:12:04 AM »
Almost learned it from experience.  Thankfully the sucker only weighs 2000 lbs.  Otherwise my garage doors might have a Zuki imprint on them!  :o

Offline Trentski

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 11:35:04 PM »
The later models have a larger pinion flange on the members and shafts. They also use larger (14mm versus 12mm) bolts. I don't know when exactly they made this change, but 88.5 is a good bet as they changed quite a lot then.

So you'll have the same problem I have - the shafts from my 87 donor won't fit the 89 I am building so I am shopping for parts now!

Have fun.  :)
-Trento
89 Sammi DD, custom bumpers, calmini S/R, 2" lift, 29" tires, CD, 3 tops, needs paint!
Next project(s): Safari rack, sliders, paint, 1.6 conversion (have the motor, needs machining)

Offline Ronzuki

• What's a Samurai?
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 02:51:36 AM »
Thanks for the info all. Jeff, there was a tranny and tcase in it last time I saw it, don't know the mileage (dash was gone). I saw this thing at a gas station and told the guy who was taking parts when he was done to let me know. I went back yesterday and it was gone. The yard that towed it to the station towed it back w/o the rear 3rd in it (there goes my rear spare axle shafts). The yard is one of those "ya gotta know the guy" places they don't let you into and he wouldn't tell me where it was (plick >:(). I was pretty diappointed this Zuk guy wasn't very helpful, probably trying to keep it as a parts truck for himself.
'91, RRO Bolt-On SPO, 32" BFG Muds, 2" BS U.S. Wheels, Breeeze CO, Neon Seats, 5.8:1 T-Case, TT Mighty Kong Bucket, 1.5" RUF, 1.5" Rears, DT Shocks, RRO Sliders ,Rear DetroitEZ, OBA,Celica PS

RCrocs Team 509