Hello Guest

Long sitting '92 Samurai JA, running really rough and stalling out.

• 2 Replies

Offline 777AIA

• 2WD does damn fine...
I have an all original '92 Samurai JA which has unfortunately been sitting for months unstarted and unused due to overseas travel for work. It was on a trickle charger and had gas treatment. Even so, I drained out gasoline and replaced with fresh. It will start up, idle rough... and I can drive a little while throttling the engine, but it wants to stall out and eventually will. I don't want to push it, so I am settling down to figure out my issue(s). However, I am not good at diagnozing, but good with a wrench... If this were you, where would you start?
Contemplating: replace fuel filter, review distributor and possibly replace, checking fuel pump...
Any input appreciated.
Phoenix
'14 LR2
'92 Samurai 2WD
'07 987.1 Cayman S
'84 Datsun 720 Standard 4x4 Pickup (24K miles!)

Online fordem

Re: Long sitting '92 Samurai JA, running really rough and stalling out.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 08:10:49 AM »
The fuel system would be my prime suspect - assuming a US model, a 92 Samurai should be throttle body injection - run a couple of bottles of fuel system cleaner (I like Techron by Chevron or Amsoil PI) through it and see what happens, if it has a carb, get it cleaned.

I see no point in replacing a working distributor, on the other hand, the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs & plug wires are all "maintenance items" - if they are original, they are long overdue, and the same goes for the fuel filter.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline 777AIA

• 2WD does damn fine...
Re: Long sitting '92 Samurai JA, running really rough and stalling out.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 12:20:06 PM »
Thanks. I actually put Techron in the tank, but cannot get the engine to stay running long enough to have it burn through and do its job. It just keeps cutting out.
I unfortunately am so busy with work and travel, I haven't had the time to sit and fiddle... as I normally would. My normal list of mechanics are not taking vehicles
in for work over 20 years old due to part shortages, and the possibility of them sitting waiting for parts when they don't have the space to safely store the cars.
Jeez, its a new world out there... I have three cars over 20 years old. Haha... but no time.
Was hoping for somebody to suggest a good place to drop the car off in Phoenix city limits (east side preferred...), who feels good about their mechanic. I just don't
have the time, and want to enjoy it when I am here.
Phoenix
'14 LR2
'92 Samurai 2WD
'07 987.1 Cayman S
'84 Datsun 720 Standard 4x4 Pickup (24K miles!)