Hello Guest

Calmini TCase Gear Install Tips?

• 10 Replies

Offline hcgalvin

• Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
    • Granite Path
Calmini TCase Gear Install Tips?
« on: December 16, 2003, 07:53:15 AM »
Hey Guys!  :o These are on order:

And should be in next week...

What I was wondering is if any of you have any tips that might make this install easier.

Things to watch for, extra steps to take, special tools that might be needed, any extra machining, or whatever.

Does the kit come with indeed, everything as it states, OR am I going to have to make a hope they are open x my fingers kind of call to the Dealer or Junkyard over these next couple of holiday weeks?

I can't wait to try these out!

Heather
Heather Galvin
2005 GV with Zuki Nation 4.5" Lift.
Sidekick's gone... Still have Bob's Knob.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Calmini TCase Gear Install Tips?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 08:48:15 AM »
Hey Guys!  :o These are on order:
And should be in next week...

What I was wondering is if any of you have any tips that might make this install easier.

Things to watch for, extra steps to take, special tools that might be needed, any extra machining, or whatever.

Does the kit come with indeed, everything as it states, OR am I going to have to make a hope they are open x my fingers kind of call to the Dealer or Junkyard over these next couple of holiday weeks?

I can't wait to try these out!

Heather

Cool, you'll be happy with this upgrade. The kit is complete and it is easier to install than the Samurai gears, if you've done or been around that. No worries, just fun.

Here's a previous article we did.

http://www.zukiworld.com/month_010103/feature_calminirockcrawler_sidekick.htm

Good luck! -Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline Mr._NSX

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2003, 09:01:31 AM »
Heather I'm concerned!!!  
Where are you getting all this extra money?
Your not selling drugs are you? :'(

;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 09:01:52 AM by Mr._NSX »

Offline Iron_Crow

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2003, 09:57:38 AM »
Here's the feedback I provided to Calmini after my installation.  They seemed receptive to my ideas, but I do not know if they edited their instructions:

"1.  Tool list would be helpful.  I imagine many customers may need to buy, rent or borrow.  Fortunately, I had everything needed, including a bearing press.  Although I admit I broke my light-duty retaining ring pliers and had to add to my Snap-on collection to complete the job.

2.  The equipment list should include "Factory Shop Manual" since the first step is to remove the transmission using those directions.  I would add one comment to the shop manual directions.  It says the remove the extension housing and transfer case in one step.  It is not clear that the extension housing must be entirely removed first to reveal the one last transfer case bolt, the only one that goes entirely through the front case casting instead of just through the flange.  I started to try to separate the case (your step 4) with this one bolt still in.  Recognizing there is little or no sealant here led me to realize I had missed a bolt pretty quickly.

3.  Mention the friction ring (your step 5 or 34).  I was left at step 34 wondering if there was some reason it was omitted with your cluster gear installation.  I decided to re-install it (P/N 29133-60A00), which was successful, but I am not absolutely certain I put it back the right way around.  A picture would be good here.  Speaking of which, it would be helpful to show the orientation of the thrust washers.  I understand their function so I properly got the groves facing the cluster gear, but everybody might not know that.

4.  Note that the clutch sleeve and three lobe clutch hub DO have a rotational orientation with respect to each other (7D-14).  Your step 19 makes no notice of this.  Or the fact that the sleeve is not symmetrical and should not be installed wrong way around, although one would soon notice.

5.  Consider including the retainer rings in the kit.  I slightly twisted the smaller one removing it (those flimsy snap ring pliers).  I was able to flatten it out again, but would have preferred to use a new one.

6.  The warning in step 36 is appreciated, but the phrase "opposite, not just reverse" confused me.  Perhaps a sentence describing that the "larger reduction gear requires that the cluster be positioned first, and the shaft be slid into place (step 33), so the thrust washer detent must be painstakingly inserted..." would have sped up my understanding.

7.  Speaking of which, I have great success with a dab of grease on the end of a tube.  I used a short piece of brake line rather than a rod.  You might include a plastic soda straw or something similar with the kit, or at least mention this idea to help direct the customer's scavenging about their garage

8.  By the way, step 46 shows two switches, 4WD and LOW.  My X-90 only has 4WD.  Don't know if some models of Sidekick are also missing LOW switch, but if so, your directions should make note of it."
Iron Crow  -  An X-90 with freakishly large wheels, bent on world domination!  90:1 crawl ratio and ARB front & rear

Offline suzsami

• 1987 Samurai
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2003, 11:54:09 AM »
   I put some in my samurai , and the only thing I can think off is take your time and go step by step , and put the gears in the right directions ( i had one in backwards when I did it , had to do it 2 more times before I seen it , It was obvious it was upside down) I could do it now in three hours I bet . The instructions are good , have good pictures . Good luck and congrats , you will be very happy I know ..  

Offline Yankee Tim

• Who says a GV is a grocery getter?
    • Yankee Off-Road
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2003, 12:11:16 PM »
"2.  The equipment list should include "Factory Shop Manual" since the first step is to remove the transmission using those directions.

This is essential.  Directions can not, nor should, replace the FSM and experince.  If you don't feel comfortable removing a married t-case, leave it for a professional.
Yankee Tim

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2003, 01:46:48 PM »
My only screw up on my first install was I lost a ball bearing. I think that when you first crack open the case you should be very carefull that not to lose this bearing. I dont have the instructions in front of me so I cant remember what step this would be found in but I can tell you tomorrow. My instructions are at work. Besides that I thought the install was a breeze. I also thought the directions were pretty good.

Mike

PS if you damage or loose something let me know. I have a t-case all tore apart in a box in my garage ( minus one ball bearing!!!) If you do lose or damage something I can mail it to you.
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 09:45:19 PM »
Congrats Heather, you will love having the lower gearing ;).  Did you lock the diffs yet or are you still open ??? Either way it will be a HUGE difference. when I got my Rockhopper 4:1 I had never had a t-case apart, and it did not come with instructions, but it was do-able. Definately get a FSM, take your time, and you should be able to do it with no problems. I went on and ordered a bearing set for the T-case so I would have all new bearings with my new gears( I had alot of miles on it). I dont know if the Calmini comes with bearings or not ???

Good luck and let us know how it goes,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 09:48:58 AM »
HEATHER DID YOU GET THE INSTALL DONE YET??? HOPE ALL WENT WELL....WILL WAIT TO HEAR OF THE RESULTS ...MATTY D.

Offline Natebert

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 12:16:24 PM »
We've been waiting to pickup an extra tranny/case combo to do the install into first.  Then we can just swap both of them around and have minimal downtime.
*grin*

Hopefully not much longer...

~Nater

Offline NY_SIDEKICKER

• YOU WANNA RACE THE ZUKE !
    • OBSESSIVE BEHAVIOR !
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 11:56:10 AM »
GREAT IDEA...GOOD LUCK WITH THE ZUKE MOD..WILL BE WAITING TO HEAR............