Hello Guest

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Turns over but won't start.

• 10 Replies

1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Turns over but won't start.
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:36:59 AM »
1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 Stickshift (US)

Car won't start, any ideas?
New battery, turns over great. Newish ignition coil packs and plugs, so shouldn't be them.
There's a noise in the gas tank when you turn on the ignition, so probably isn't the fuel pump.

When you turn on the ignition there's a clicking sounds in the engine area, that stops.
When you start the car it turns over. It makes a faint sound like it's trying to fire, but it never does.

I'm not sure what it is, but I just noticed what looks like an oil coating on the lower driver's (USA) side of the engine.
I'm not sure what it is yet. I'm not sure it was oil (it's dark right now). The Oil Filter isn't leaking.
There's no scan codes.

One minute it worked. The next it wouldn't start.
I had sprayed some liquid cleaner/wax on all the electrical wiring that goes from the car to the car doors in the hinge areas, including the back door. It ran before I did that, didn't after I'd cleaned the car.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:38:47 AM by optimizer »
Car = 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6, 5 speed / stickshift. US version. Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow w/ QTP Cutout.

Online fordem

Re: 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Turns over but won't start.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:20:25 AM »
Ok - you have all these theories on what it shouldn't be - where does that leave you?  If the theories are valid, it should be running, shouldn't it?

Time to stop theorising and start diagnosing ...
 - do you have fuel?  yes/no
 - do you have spark?  yes/no

A noise in the fuel tank might mean the pump is running - is there fuel in the tank, is the filter blocked?  A quick & easy test is to get a can of starter fluid and spray it into the intake whilst someone else cranks the engine over - if it starts you have a fuel delivery problem, if it doesn't, then you check for a spark at the plugs.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »
Thanks. We now likely have an intermittent problem.
A mechanic stopped by to look at it this morning. While he was looking under the hood he said start it.
Of course, "It Starts" just for him.... and it's run for 10 miles since, and started again on the test after I stopped.

I'm still concerned about it though.
Where is the fuel filter located on this engine?
Last I checked, the major DIY book companies didn't do a manual for this particular engine for some reason. Strange, considering it's a major car for DIYers.

...but utilizing the symptoms now:
Do they rule out anything?

On the electrical side:
Yes, plugs/coils are OK.
The Fuel pump fuse is OK
Is there a Fuel Pump relay, where is the box and it within the box, and do they ever give intermittent issues, or is it OK. (noting, there may be less clicking under the hood when the ignition's switched on, but it's hard to completely know without a helper).

On the fuel side.
Pump - it would seem to be OK?
Pump's Strainer - do these give problems like this?

Fuel filter - what signs are there when they begin to clog? Is it typical for them to run great one day, stop the next?

There's other things in the fuel line, injection pump etc?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:19:13 PM by optimizer »
Car = 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.5 V6, 5 speed / stickshift. US version. Flowmaster Series 40 Delta Flow w/ QTP Cutout.

Online fordem

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »
Intermittents are a pain in the backside to locate.

The fuel filter is located under the car, I think it's on the inside of the right frame rail, just in front of the fuel tank, the fuel pump relay is under the dash in the driver's side foot well, alongside the fuse panel.

You don't need a DIY book for this vehicle, you can get the FSM from the Suzuki-forums website (www.suzuki-forums.com) - find the 99~05 GV section, there is a sticky at the top with links you can download it from - there are two sections, get them both.

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »
Thank you.

I was just looking through fuel line items, and noticed the Fuel Pressure Regulator. Wasn't that the thing I had to take the car in "twice" for recalls?
Could it produce this problem.
I wonder what its typical symptoms are when going wrong.

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 09:27:46 AM »
Yes, there was a recall for the fuel pressure regulator, but as far as I can recall, it was more of a safety issue - in cold weather, moisture can freeze causing higher than normal fuel pressure, with the possibility of leaks and fire.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:46 AM »
If your Mass Air Flow sensor is connected electrically, but not in the airflow to intake it will not start.  So if you had the inlet air hose off the intake it will not start.  At least my '05 2.7L doesn't.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline pidder

• 88.5 samurai, homemade bumpers, rock sliders,spoa
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 02:59:32 PM »
did you ever figure out the clicking noise?  my buddy is going through the exact same thing with his grand vitara.

Online fordem

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
Is your buddy really going through the exact same thing?  Does he also have newish ignition coil packs & plugs?  Is he hearing a noise in the gas tank?

If I had a dime for every time someone had exactly the same thing/problem, I'd be able to retire early.

I'm going to suggest you ignore the clicking noise and start diagnosing the problem - do you have a spark at the plugs?  will it start if you use starter fluid?

'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks FORDEM for suggesting getting back to basics to narrow it down, Much appreciated.

It was a strange problem - wouldn't start for that short period. Started up later and has started for years since, traveled across half the country and now is laid up in need of an engine rebuild. Unsure if we'll rebuild it back into a customized 4x4 or if we'll make a Suzuki powered Ariel Atom type machine.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 05:25:51 PM »
did you ever figure out the clicking noise?  my buddy is going through the exact same thing with his grand vitara.
PIDDER, I just noticed the PM. On this issue I never really found out what was wrong. It started 24 hours later and never gave that problem again. I suspect it may have been a moisture freeze issue. It looks like the post was in February, so likely cold overnight. I have had fuel pressure issues since, so the Fuel Pressure regulator could be an issue, AGAIN - a problem on this particular car - multi recalls and still not working.