Hello Guest

1.9 tdi swap in 95 tracker

• 7 Replies

Offline jtrew

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
1.9 tdi swap in 95 tracker
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:14:17 AM »
I need some advice.  I have sourced a 2003 Jetta parts car with a 1.9tdi, I would like to know if anyone has put this new of a motor in a Geo Tracker.  I am aware that the motor is electronic and would have to be wired in the tracker, but i was wondering if it would be worth the trouble.  I was also wondering if it was possible to put a manual pump on the diesel.  The parts car is only $500 so its a good deal.  If anyone could help me i would appreciate it.  I have been talking to Acme and they say they could only help with the adapter.

Online fordem

Re: 1.9 tdi swap in 95 tracker
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 04:21:09 PM »
I am aware that the motor is electronic and would have to be wired in the tracker, but i was wondering if it would be worth the trouble

How do we know what you would consider "worth the trouble"?  Bear in mind we have no idea how you plan to use the vehicle.

Personally I would not consider ANY diesel swap into a Tracker or Sidekick to be "worth the trouble", but that is because any vehicle I'm building is not going to be a "pure off road vehicle" - the problem with diesel swaps, is that diesel engines develop their torque at significantly lower rpm than gasoline engines, and it is almost impossible to gear them correctly when swapping them for gasoline engines.  I've driven diesel engine vehicles, both naturally aspirated & turbo charged, that came from the factory as diesels, and therefore can be considered as "optimally geared" and found the "on road" performance to be marginal - on a two lane blacktop (one in each direction) a long drive is a misery.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 04:49:47 PM »
One of the issues is the power.

Horsepower: 90 hp
Torque: 155 lb-ft

I think the Redline is 4200 RPM, so bit lower then the stock motor.  Your not gaining any HP, and not a lot of RPM.  So it's not going to be a speed demon even with the higher torque numbers.

A 2.3L swap from a Aerio is a much easier swap and gives you 145 hp.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline jtrew

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 04:10:39 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts, my main use would be a daily driver and was considering the diesel for it's mpg and how long they last.  I guess it would make more sense to rebuild my stock engine for my purposes I'm just looking for a change and I've always loved turbo diesels.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:34:30 AM »
I understand how that goes, I really wanted to drop an Isuzu into my SJ for the same reason.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 09:03:15 AM »
Not sure why you think diesels aren’t good for on-road use.  The vehicles that put the most miles on road are always diesels.  And 90%of all vehicles in Europe are diesel, from the biggest rigs to the tiniest commuters.  It’s all about the engine and drivetrain. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 12:15:09 PM »
Not sure why you think diesels aren’t good for on-road use.

I suspect that is aimed at me - put it down to personal experience.  I don't know what your experience with small (less than 2.5 litre) diesels is, but, I have yet to find one, be it turbo-charged or naturally aspirated that has a throttle response rivaling that of a gasoline engine.  My 2.0 litre naturally aspirated Grand Vitara will out accelerate a 2.5 litre turbocharged Mitsubishi diesel pickup, and on a two lane blacktop, that's what matters - the power to overtake, safely...

Sure there are large numbers of diesels in Europe (by the way, I don't know your source of information, but I think your 90% estimate is more than a little over the top), but, you can put that down to the economy of a diesel vehicle combined with the high cost of fuel over there, sure the vehicles that "put the most miles on the road" are diesels, those are the delivery trucks where the focus is on fuel efficiency, not on performance - incidentally - have you ever got caught in traffic behind a big rig?

I have personally put thousands of miles on the road behind the wheel of diesel vehicles, and as I have mentioned previously, those miles were done in vehicles with factory fitted and presumably optimally geared diesels, not diesels retrofitted into gasoline vehicles - I like a vehicle that accelerates WHEN I step on the throttle, diesels don't.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Phase change

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
Well I am known to exaggerate.  And I am also known to fall in love with diesels for reasons unknown to me.   They are not practical at all. They will NOT save you money in fuel I promise that!  But at highway speed on long drives they shine, where the turbo is spooked up and ready to overtake.  I suppose old diesels from the 80s are dogs but the newer DI diesels with VG turbos and all the modern goodies can really surprise you.  My buddy has a 3.0 bmw that really scoots everywhere, and my sprinter has a 2.7 5cyl that is incredible with throttle response, even in a 8,000 lb van. 

But, I agree, it’s not worth it on a small vehicle like this. 
2003 Suzuki tracker 4d 5sp 2.0 “piglet”
Deleted air 4wd system, Manual hubs, 2” lift, 235/75,

Old ride: 1997 X90 “jellybean” best lil car I’ve ever had