Hello Guest

Dual battery setup

• 7 Replies

Offline caranpaima

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
Dual battery setup
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:35:52 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am looking into installing a dual battery setup on my GV. I have done some research and considering what's available locally (I live in Colombia), I think I have narrowed it down to a Optima red top as main battery and a Optima yellow top as auxiliary battery. To join the batts I know I need an isolator, and I am thinking of the well reviewed Redarc brand (https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-chargers/dual-battery-isolators) but I am a total newbie regarding car electrics. I was wondering if you could offer your opinions/experiences when installing a dual battery setup and also recommend me what Redarc Isolator I would need.

Thank you, JM.
2005 GV!, TCase and Front Skid Plates; OME Suspension (rear shocks are Doetsch 3000); Low Range OffRoad 2.5" lift; Differential drop brackets;Panhard relocation brackets; Thule rack

Online fordem

Re: Dual battery setup
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »
Take a trip to www.auszookers.com/forum - you'll find the guys there have way more experience with dual battery systems and isolators.

Please bear in mind that you have not told us why you want/need a dual battery system, and that is a factor that determines not only which batteries should be used, but also how they are linked, I personally don't care for the smart isolators in any system that does not use a pair of identical batteries.

You've chosen an Optima redtop as the main battery, and a yellow top as the auxiliary, which suggests that the intent is camping accessories or similar, if that is correct, a blue top as the auxiliary, paired with a DC-DC charger might be a better choice.

Finally - don't forget that all of the electrical energy must come from the vehicle alternator - you may want to consider an upgrade for that also.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline caranpaima

• ZUKIWORLD Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 01:35:44 PM »
Thank you for answering. I am thinking of installing a winch; I know many people install refrigerators with a dual battery system, but I do not need that. Another use I would be giving the dual system would be having a backup starting battery and using a 12V stove.
2005 GV!, TCase and Front Skid Plates; OME Suspension (rear shocks are Doetsch 3000); Low Range OffRoad 2.5" lift; Differential drop brackets;Panhard relocation brackets; Thule rack

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
If space is a concern you might look into the Lithium Ion based batteries.  Way more power per size.  They are awfully proud of them when it comes to pricing though.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:49 AM »
Personally I see no reason to fit dual batteries for a winch - simply install the largest capacity battery you can, or, if physical space is the challenge, fit two smaller, identical batteries and parallel them - you can run a dual battery system with no isolator - the purpose of the isolator is to allow electrical load to be powered from the secondary battery whilst the engine is off and the primary battery is isolated so that it will retain enough charge to start the engine - when the engine is running the isolator parallels the batteries so that the alternator charges them both - you're not going to be running the winch when the engine off so if there will be no "off engine loads" there is no need for isolation.

Throwing a 12v stove into the mix takes us back to loads that are going to be run whilst the engine is off, which takes us back to dual batteries and an isolator (or dc~dc charger), and in this case since you will want the batteries paralleled whilst winching, the isolator would be preferable - take a look at the current draw of your winch, divide that by two (identical batteries should share the load evenly), and that will give you the current the isolator will be required to handle.

As mentioned before, it is not a good idea to parallel batteries that are not identical - ideally, for best results you want the same chemistry, same capacity, same voltage and the same age - anything else reduces the longevity of both batteries - and if you're planning on extended/extensive winching, consider an alternator upgrade.

Non identical batteries will result in uneven sharing of the load, one battery being depleted before the other with consequential deep (or over) discharge of the smaller battery and subsequent premature failure - how long this takes to happen will depend on how deeply the batteries are discharged.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 03:19:49 PM »
In my SJ-410 we had a dual 6v setup was used that worked pretty well.  Especially with the smaller alternator.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 05:34:03 PM »
Dual 6V batteries (in a 12V vehicle) is an entirely different proposition to dual 12V batteries - they have to be wired in series and if they're not identical, you will at some point find yourself in a world of hurt.  The only reason to do that is physical space.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 10:21:30 AM »
In my case it was done while I was working.  But it worked great for years.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing